Pages
- Home
- Welcome!
- Current Contest: Desolate Mantle
- Giveaways!
- Advice for Writers
- Visit My Website!
- Crime Fiction: The Botanist
- High Fantasy: Dragon Magic
- The Walking Dead!!!
- Thoughts For Thursday
- Signings and Events
- Contact and Links
- Dystopian: Interchron Series
- Historical Fiction: Kremlins Series
- Crime Fiction: Street Games Series
Monday, March 30, 2015
Top Ten Tuesday: Recent TBR Adds
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top 10 Books You Recently Added to Your To-Be-Read List
I've actually been trying not to add books to my TBR, so I had to go look at my TBR shelf on Goodreads.com. The last time I added a slew of books was in January of this year. I think I took these from year-end lists. I can't remember why exactly I added each one, other than they seemed good to me at the time so I decided to add them.
10. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt - A true crime, nonfiction about a famous unsolved murder, famous for it's witty narrative that makes it read like a novel.
9. The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum - Based on a true story, this is a psychological novel about two girls kept captive in a basement that apparently takes a strong stomach to read. I usually regret reading books like this, but I'm kind of a sucker for true crime-type stuff.
8. Ashes to Ashes by Melissa C. Walker - A ghost story told from the POV of the ghost. She tries to cross over but finds she has unfinished business concerning those left behind, and may have to fight some other, less friendly ghosts in the process. Sounds intriguing!
7. Footsteps in the Snow by Charles Lachman - More true crime. The coldest case in U.S. History from 1957. Who killed little Maria. Annnnndd...I'm hooked.
6. Familiar Things by Lia Habel - This one's about witches and familiars which is really, REALLY not my genre, but the plot on this one is kind of epic and complicated like high fantasy. Yeah, I might have to read that.
5. Snow, Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch - Another dystopian/epic fantasy. Just sounds pretty cool.
4. The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey - This one's a nonfiction. The subtitle is: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks. 'Nuf said?
3. Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer - Krakauer is known for his gripping tellings of extreme situations, and this one's about a polygamist cult. The kind where the front-and-center behavior tends to confound the understanding of us normal humans.
2. Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson - A fantasy about a Fey prince. I don't usually read much Fey fantasy. Just not my favorite fantastical race to read about. But the plot sounds pretty epic on this one, so I'll probably have to try it out.
1. Existence by Abbi Glines - A paranormal romance about a girl being stalked by Death (the person) and falls in love with him, of course.
What books have you recently added to your TBR list?
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top 10 Books You Recently Added to Your To-Be-Read List
I've actually been trying not to add books to my TBR, so I had to go look at my TBR shelf on Goodreads.com. The last time I added a slew of books was in January of this year. I think I took these from year-end lists. I can't remember why exactly I added each one, other than they seemed good to me at the time so I decided to add them.
10. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt - A true crime, nonfiction about a famous unsolved murder, famous for it's witty narrative that makes it read like a novel.
9. The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum - Based on a true story, this is a psychological novel about two girls kept captive in a basement that apparently takes a strong stomach to read. I usually regret reading books like this, but I'm kind of a sucker for true crime-type stuff.
8. Ashes to Ashes by Melissa C. Walker - A ghost story told from the POV of the ghost. She tries to cross over but finds she has unfinished business concerning those left behind, and may have to fight some other, less friendly ghosts in the process. Sounds intriguing!
7. Footsteps in the Snow by Charles Lachman - More true crime. The coldest case in U.S. History from 1957. Who killed little Maria. Annnnndd...I'm hooked.
6. Familiar Things by Lia Habel - This one's about witches and familiars which is really, REALLY not my genre, but the plot on this one is kind of epic and complicated like high fantasy. Yeah, I might have to read that.
5. Snow, Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch - Another dystopian/epic fantasy. Just sounds pretty cool.
4. The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey - This one's a nonfiction. The subtitle is: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks. 'Nuf said?
3. Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer - Krakauer is known for his gripping tellings of extreme situations, and this one's about a polygamist cult. The kind where the front-and-center behavior tends to confound the understanding of us normal humans.
2. Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson - A fantasy about a Fey prince. I don't usually read much Fey fantasy. Just not my favorite fantastical race to read about. But the plot sounds pretty epic on this one, so I'll probably have to try it out.
1. Existence by Abbi Glines - A paranormal romance about a girl being stalked by Death (the person) and falls in love with him, of course.
What books have you recently added to your TBR list?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)











Familiar Things looks so intriguing! I hope you enjoy these books when you get around to them. My TTT!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chrissi. Me too! :D
DeleteNice list of book titles. May of them I've not heard of before.... I look forward to checking out the new to me book titles.
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/ten-books-you-recently-added-to-your-to.html
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Tuesday!
DeleteSo many of your books have now been added to my never ending TBR. Great thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteMy TTT https://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/top-ten-tuesday-recently-added-to-tbr-list/
No problem. Yeah my TBR is never-ending, too. I feel ya! :D
DeleteOOOh great list!! I LOVED Snow Like Ashes!! Existence was also incredible! It makes me want more paranormal NA from Abbi, but I think she's sticking to the contemp track for now. Sigh...
ReplyDeleteAnd oooh Ashes to Ashes is another one I want to read! It's in my TBR Mountain of Doom though...since Christmas 2013 I believe.
Here's my Tuesday Post
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
LOL. Glad you liked those ones. I always like to hear when someone has good things to say. I definitely have a Mountain of Doom as well. So many books, so little time! :D
DeleteLord of the Fading Lands looks cool.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm excited for that one, too. Thanks Alex!
DeleteI think I added In the Garden of Good and Evil to my want-to-read list years ago but I could never figure out if it was nonfiction or fiction, lol! It sounds interesting though. Great list :)
ReplyDeleteMy TTT
I'm pretty sure it's nonfic, though I think the style in which it's written makes it read more like a fiction, which is why it's so popular. Thanks so much!
DeleteYeah I'd have a hard time reading The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.
ReplyDeleteYeah I hear ya. Those ones are tough. It's one of those books I want to have read, but don't want to necessarily read, ya know? Thanks Maurice! :D
DeleteI've read Devil's Teeth and Under the Banner of Heaven, and thought they were both incredibly good. I still need to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Looks like you have some great reading coming up!
ReplyDeleteLet's hope so! Glad you liked those first two. Always great to hear good recommendations! :D
DeleteSnow Like Ashes is really good. I hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so glad! I"m sure I will. Thanks so much, Alicia! :D
DeleteGreat list Liesel. I too have an out of control TBR list which I try to avoid growing but can't :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, bookish people like us never can. :D Thanks Adina! :D
Delete