Monday, March 30, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Recent TBR Adds


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books You Recently Added to Your To-Be-Read List

I've actually been trying not to add books to my TBR, so I had to go look at my TBR shelf on Goodreads.com. The last time I added a slew of books was in January of this year. I think I took these from year-end lists. I can't remember why exactly I added each one, other than they seemed good to me at the time so I decided to add them.





10. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt  - A true crime, nonfiction about a famous unsolved murder, famous for it's witty narrative that makes it read like a novel.




9. The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum - Based on a true story, this is a psychological novel about two girls kept captive in a basement that apparently takes a strong stomach to read. I usually regret reading books like this, but I'm kind of a sucker for true crime-type stuff.


8. Ashes to Ashes by Melissa C. Walker - A ghost story told from the POV of the ghost. She tries to cross over but finds she has unfinished business concerning those left behind, and may have to fight some other, less friendly ghosts in the process. Sounds intriguing!



7. Footsteps in the Snow by Charles Lachman - More true crime. The coldest case in U.S. History from 1957. Who killed little Maria. Annnnndd...I'm hooked.




6. Familiar Things by Lia Habel - This one's about witches and familiars which is really, REALLY not my genre, but the plot on this one is kind of epic and complicated like high fantasy. Yeah, I might have to read that. 





5. Snow, Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch - Another dystopian/epic fantasy. Just sounds pretty cool. 




4. The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey - This one's a nonfiction. The subtitle is: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks. 'Nuf said?





3. Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer - Krakauer is known for his gripping tellings of extreme situations, and this one's about a polygamist cult. The kind where the front-and-center behavior tends to confound the understanding of us normal humans.




2. Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson - A fantasy about a Fey prince. I don't usually read much Fey fantasy. Just not my favorite fantastical race to read about. But the plot sounds pretty epic on this one, so I'll probably have to try it out.





1. Existence by Abbi Glines - A paranormal romance about a girl being stalked by Death (the person) and falls in love with him, of course. 





What books have you recently added to your TBR list?

20 comments :

  1. Familiar Things looks so intriguing! I hope you enjoy these books when you get around to them. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of book titles. May of them I've not heard of before.... I look forward to checking out the new to me book titles.

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/ten-books-you-recently-added-to-your-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. So many of your books have now been added to my never ending TBR. Great thanks for sharing :)
    My TTT https://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/top-ten-tuesday-recently-added-to-tbr-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Yeah my TBR is never-ending, too. I feel ya! :D

      Delete
  4. OOOh great list!! I LOVED Snow Like Ashes!! Existence was also incredible! It makes me want more paranormal NA from Abbi, but I think she's sticking to the contemp track for now. Sigh...

    And oooh Ashes to Ashes is another one I want to read! It's in my TBR Mountain of Doom though...since Christmas 2013 I believe.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Glad you liked those ones. I always like to hear when someone has good things to say. I definitely have a Mountain of Doom as well. So many books, so little time! :D

      Delete
  5. Lord of the Fading Lands looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm excited for that one, too. Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  6. I think I added In the Garden of Good and Evil to my want-to-read list years ago but I could never figure out if it was nonfiction or fiction, lol! It sounds interesting though. Great list :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it's nonfic, though I think the style in which it's written makes it read more like a fiction, which is why it's so popular. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. Yeah I'd have a hard time reading The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hear ya. Those ones are tough. It's one of those books I want to have read, but don't want to necessarily read, ya know? Thanks Maurice! :D

      Delete
  8. I've read Devil's Teeth and Under the Banner of Heaven, and thought they were both incredibly good. I still need to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Looks like you have some great reading coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so! Glad you liked those first two. Always great to hear good recommendations! :D

      Delete
  9. Snow Like Ashes is really good. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad! I"m sure I will. Thanks so much, Alicia! :D

      Delete
  10. Great list Liesel. I too have an out of control TBR list which I try to avoid growing but can't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, bookish people like us never can. :D Thanks Adina! :D

      Delete