Thursday, March 19, 2015

Pixie Dust & Building Blocks with Jenniffer Wardell

 Good Morning, Everyone! Please welcome my fellow JFP Author, Jenniffer Wardell to my blog! Her new book, Beast Charming, is out, and I can't wait to read it. Her debut, Fairy Godmothers, Inc. was probably the most charming book I read in 2013!


Pixie Dust & Building blocks: Rebuilding Fairy Tales from the Ground Up

by Jenniffer Wardell

Fairy tales aren't very good at explaining things. They're focused on spinning the most fantastical tale they can, with ogres, dragons and terrifying curses, but they're always careful not to go into the nitty gritty details of how it all works. In fairy tales, things just happen, and the characters always just seem to accept that this is the sort of thing that happens to people in these kinds of stories.

I've always loved fairy tales, but I've never been very good at accepting things. Even when
I was younger I always wanted to hear the rest of the story, digging behind the pixie dust to find out how all the gears worked when no one was looking. No matter how attractive the story was, I was always more interested in the bits they didn't show me.
The more I would read, the more questions I would have. Why exactly did fairy godmothers break into people's back yards and give dresses to poor serving girls? Were there teams of fairies who walked around cursing jerks as a hobby, or did the Beast just get really unlucky? Did someone lodge an official complaint against him, and if so where would you go to do that? How does one actually go about becoming an evil sorceress? Do you just wake up one morning and think "Yes, I really would look good in black?"

E
Source
ventually, I realized the only way I would get any of these questions answered is if I did it myself. I started taking all my favorite fairy tales apart, examining all the individual building blocks and using them to guess the shape of the ones I couldn't see. I started to imagine what a world would be like that was made of these kind of stories, what it would do to people if things like curses and secret princesses were normal, every-day occurrences. What if even dragons had to pay bills?

Once I had my world, I started rebuilding all my stories. I took all my favorite pieces from the originals – Beauty, her Beast, Fairy Godmothers, dragons, magic wands, curses, happy endings – and added in all of the blocks I'd made with my questions. Then I got to stick them together in every possible way I could imagine, trying to see what would stand tall and what would fall over into a ridiculous heap. If anyone could have seen inside my head, I imagine I would have looked like a little kid surrounded by the world's biggest Lego set.

The results mix magic and ex-girlfriends, dragons and independent business ownership, and fairy godmothers and 40-hour work weeks. Fairy tales rebuilt from the ground up, complete with plenty of laughs, a little pixie dust, and hopefully no unanswered questions. Though if you do have some, I'd love to hear them. I can always use more building blocks to play with.


Check out Beast Charming on Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.

Stalk Jenniffer on Facebook, Twitter, and/or her Blog.

Also make sure and enter her Giveaway below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway


Are you excited to read Beast Charming?

No comments :

Post a Comment