Monday, March 23, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Reads


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books From My Childhood that I'd Like to Re-Visit 




10. The Chronicles of Prydain (The Black Cauldron) by Lloyd Alexander - I was required to read The Black Cauldron for school and was bitter about it at first. (I wanted to be in the other reading group. :D) But then I was so glad I got to read this. I liked it so much I read the entire Prydain series. It's been decades since I did, though. I really want to revisit them.


9. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - I actually haven't read The Giver. I know, I know. Sacrilege. But this was one of my favorites as a kid. Between school and my personal reading, I think I read this book 3 or 4 times. Just loved it.


8. Hatchet by Gary Paulson - Gary Paulson was big when I was in grade school. I read this in more than one grade, as well as several other of his books, but this was always the quintessential one. I think it gets read to kids a lot because it's about a kid who survives a plane crash and has to survive on his own in the wild, but I'd like to experience it now as an adult.

7. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz - Basically, these were creepy retellings of urban legends. They were popular in my school. There were three or four volumes and they were constantly checked out at the library, so it was hard to get a hold of them. For me, I always wanted to read them, but they always scared the crap out of me and I'd be up all night jumping at shadows. Then my mom would chew me out and make me take it back to the library. But then a few weeks later... Yeah, kids don't learn. :D


6. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis - To be fair, I read all of these in college, so it hasn't been long since I last revisited them. I do love them, though, and wouldn't ever be opposed to reading them once again. :D



5. Thunder Rolling in the Mountains/Sing Down the Moon/Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell - I read lots of Scott O'Dell in grade school and always loved his books. Thunder Rolling in the Mountains had an especially big emotional toll on me. I remember sobbing uncontrollably. Like Gary Paulson, I'd like to experience these books as an adult.



4. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle - Such a classic. I don't think I need to explain why. But it's been years since I read it. I'd like to read it again. (And I'd like to read the whole series.)


3. King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry - I remember loving this book as a kid. Don't know if it was the story, or because it was about a horse. But I loved it. Read it more than once, I think. 



2. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor - This is another one I read several times in school, but I liked the story enough that I read a couple of others in the series. This is one of few on my list that I still remember most of the details about. I'd still like to re-read it, though.


1. The Secret of Nimh by Seymour Reit - I don't remember much about this one except that my dad used to read it out loud to me when I was a kid. Might have been my first chapter book experience. I'd like to re-read it and maybe read it to my niece. :D





What top ten books would you like to revisit from your childhood?

14 comments :

  1. OOh nice! I recognize some of these books from my own childhood though I don't believe I read any.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve read almost all of the books on your list. This week’s topic was hard. I could have come up with so many more books than just 10.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I could have too. Especially checking out other lists, I keep finding things I really should have included, LOL. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love all of these! Hurray for Marguerite Henry and her horses! Number the Stars is so powerful (and I like it better than The Giver too). I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins, and should have had it on my list this week. I've been trying to convince my 12-year-old to read Hatchet. He's not much of a reader (breaks my heart!), but I think a good survival story would be perfect for him. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really loved Hatchet but it is kind of a boy story. Obviously it appeals to both sexes, but I hope you can persuade him. :D

      Delete
  4. I have read The Chronicles of Narnia again as an adult. (Just before the first movie came out, so I'd remember.) Simple but still wonderful.
    What did you think of the movie version of the Black Cauldron by Disney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's been so long since I saw that movie--since I was a kid--that I don't remember what my opinion is. I guess I should watch it again. :D

      Delete
  5. I never got into those xhildhood books but my favorites were "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, The Phantom Tollbooth, Danny Dunn (series), Me and the Big Brain (series), Encyclopedia Brown (series), Flowers for Algernon and House of Stairs." All very thought provoking books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Encyclopedia Brown. Haven't thought about that dude in years. Probably because I am a girl, I was more into Nancy Drew. I do still love Flowers for Algernon, though. I just don't read it much because it's so stinkin' sad! :D Thanks Maurice!

      Delete
  6. You got some of my favorite childhood reads too. I was a reluctant reader as a kid but I absolutely could not put down Hatchet, The Island of Blue Dolphins, and A Wrinkle in Time. Calvin from A Wrinkle in Time was my first book boyfriend. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I don't know if I thought of him as my first book boyfriend, but I do remember that I didn't think I'd be especially impressed with A Wrinkle in Time (Don't know why) and I was pleasantly surprised when I--like you--couldn't put it down either. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. The only one I've read is Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. We had to read it in 7th grade, and I remember reading either right before we read it in class, or rereading it right after. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. That was one of my faves. :D

      Delete