Sunday, September 8, 2013



Welcome to week 5 of the Fires of Heaven Read-Along. Remember that everything from this section as well as anything that's come before is fair game for spoilers, so read at your own risk! :D Apologies for the vague answers and lack of fan art. It's been a crazy week and I just didn't have much time to put this together.

1) Egwene nearly becomes trapped in a dream of Emond's Field. Once she manages to untangle herself, we, the readers, see that Moghedien was lurking. How much trouble do you think Moghedien will cause Egwene & Nynaeve? Do you think Egwene needs to take some of her own advice?

I think Moghedien will cause as much as she can. She'll use them in her schemes however it suits her, and definitely won't care if it kills them, so Egwene should proceed with more caution.
2) Siuan & crew finally make it to Salidar. Did you expect Siuan & Leane to be grilled so by the aes sedai? Was Logain's reception as you expected? 

The first time I read it, I don't think I was surprised by the grilling--it's only natural they want every detail of what happened and to study Siuan and Leane since so few sisters are actually stilled--but I was surprised by the lack of respect or compassion. She was the Amyrlin for so long, and has gone through this horrible thing that most sisters cringe to even think of, you'd think they'd have a little more reverence or at least sympathy. But no, they were content to treat her as an inferior and even gloat a bit. Such sweet-tempered women! *rolls eyes*

3) Gareth Bryne, his laundry, Siuan's temper, and Min's visions; what a mix! Having seen several examples of how Robert Jordan builds couples, do you have expectations for Siuan & Bryne? What do you make of Min's visions?
I think they'll be the kind of couple that will take FOREVER to admit they have feelings for one another. Expect them to finally get together in, oh, book 346 or so. Min's visions are interesting. It must give her a headache to be around so many Aes Sedai, but the visions are so vague, they could mean almost anything. 

4) Kadere manages to eliminate one of his allies (Isendre) and is hoping to locate another among the Aiel all in one short chapter. In retrospect, how do you feel about the treatment of Isendre by Kadere, Rand, & the Aiel women? Who do you think left the note for Kadere?

The note could have been left by anyone--any of the Forsaken or any Darkfriend, if they do exist among the Aiel. Having read it before, I think I know who it is; I just can't remember if I'm right or not. As for Isendre, I do find myself feeling some pity for her, but the moment you decide to become a Darkfriend, that's when you have to make your bed and lie in it. Even though it was pretty horrible, she had it coming for a long time. I think we all just hope Kadere gets his comeuppance soon too.
5) What do you think motivated Edorion to make his bet with Rand on the Aiel arriving at Cairhein in time? Rand makes it clear that Rhuarc & crew are not to use rough methods to gain information from Estean. Should we be concerned for Estean's safety?

Not sure what Edorion's motivations are at this point. It will be interesting to see how big a role he plays in the future. I don't think we need to be concerned for Estean's safety; that is, I don't think his life is at risk. However, Aiel methods may include what most people would consider torture, so he may be in for some pain, whether mental or physical.
6) Rand & Aviendha find themselves in the land of the Seanchan. All sorts of things (both physical and metaphorical) are laid bare. How do you think Rand & Aviendha's relationship will change? Will the Seanchan become a bigger problem sooner rather than later due to this little visit? 

Rand seems to think Aviendha means what she says about not being together again, but given Min's vision of three women around a funeral byre, I doubt they'll be entirely platonic either. I think Rand may have piqued the Seanchan's interest by showing up there. He got their attention. If there ever was a chance of them going away (not likely) it's totally blown to smithereens now.

How did everyone else like this section?

2 comments :

  1. I too was surprised by the lack of compassion. I could see some of them not showing respect because the aes sedai as a whole have a superiority complex.

    Yes, I am looking forward to seeing how Kadere is taken out. *rubs hands in anticipation*

    More Seanchan action to come. I have mixed feelings. I was just starting to warm up to the average Seanchan, but another invasion may put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. "Egwene should proceed with more caution" Someone should actually tattoo this on the inside of her eyelids! :D

    2. I am beginning to find the Aes Sedai very irritating as a group - they are so similar to the Forsaken in their massively over-inflated egos. Grrr!

    4. Kadere is a really nasty piece of work, and I hope he endures a truly unpleasant and painful death very, very soon.

    6. Yeah, right, Aviendha has had enough Rand for her entire life now . . . somehow I find that rather difficult to believe!

    ReplyDelete