Monday, September 2, 2013

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VIII


It may only be September, but Halloween is coming at us fast. All my local stores are already carrying oodles of Halloween candy. I love this time of year, and I've decided to participate in R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) this season. I came upon it too late to participate last year, and this is only the second fall season I've been blogging. So...this is my year!

Visit this Stainless Steel Droppings post for full details, but the gist is this (Excerpts from Stainless Steel Droppings):

R.I.P. goes from September 1-October 31, so you can join anytime!


Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above. That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.
Two simple rules:
1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.
Categories:
Peril the First: Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.
Peril the Second: Read two books of any length that you believe fit within the R.I.P. categories.
Peril the Third: We all want you to participate. This Peril involves imbibing just one R.I.P.ping read.
Peril of the Short Story: I am a big fan of short stories and my desire for them is perhaps no greater than in Autumn. I see Poe and Lovecraft in my future for sure, and some Angela Carter. You can read short stories any time during the challenge. When I can, I like to read short stories over the weekend and post about them around that time. Feel free to do this however you want, but if you review short stories on your site (not a requirement) please link to those reviews on the Review Site.
Peril on the Screen: This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film. If you are so inclined, please post links to any R.I.P.-related viewing you do on to the Review Site as well.
Peril of the Group Read: This Peril was added a few years back and brought a really fun, interactive dimension toR.eaders I.mbibing P.eril. Last year fellow bloggers hosted one of our group reads and I am THRILLED that they are back to do so again this year. Andi and Heather, through The Estella Society, are hosting a read-a-long of Elizabeth Kostava’s debut novel, The Historian. I am especially thrilled because I’ve promised myself every year I would read this and have not done so. I’m appreciating the push to do so now.
My Goals:
Source
1) I have a Complete Collection Selected Works of Edgar Allen Poe stories I want to read. It has 67 short stories and 31 poems. So, two stories + one poem per day and I should get through it in about a month.
I also want to read Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake and Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin, both sequels to books I read around this time last year.
I'd also like to re-read Bram Stoker's Dracula and I haven't read Heart of Darkness yet this year.
That's a lot of reading, especially considering I'll probably do it all in October, but it's what I'm going to shoot for. I always watch at least one or two horror films around Halloween as well, so I'll probably manage the Peril on the Screen. 
Both September and October are going to be busy months, so I'll just have to see how it goes.
Is anyone else participating in R.I.P. this year?

3 comments :

  1. Hooray! I really enjoyed this reading event last year and am looking forward to it this year. I've read Stoker's Dracula and found it to be much more intense and rich than I expected. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time participating too, and I'm really excited about it. Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to RIP! Carl's challenges are always a lot of fun. I notice you say you haven't read Heart of Darkness yet this year...do you read it every year? :) I kind of envy people who have a book they can read that frequently! I usually have to give more time between my favorites before I'm ready to pick them up again.

    ReplyDelete