Monday, December 3, 2012

4 Proofs of the Dystopic De-Evolution of Our World

kkcchallenge.wordpress.com
There's been a lot of discussion lately about why the dystopian genre is blowing up, why it's so appealing, and what it all means. I've even weighed in on this with a post or two. My arguments have mostly been that dystopian is visceral and emotion, so the audience easily relates, and that with technology growing by leaps and bounds, "Big Brother" is becoming a very real concern for our society.

When George Orwell's 1984 was first released in 1949, it was considered subversive, offensive, and a paranoid, pessimistic view of the future. (It's really not a coincidence that it often makes "Most Often Banned Books" lists.) Notice no one says that about Suzanne Collins. Why? It's the world we live in.

teacherspayteachers.com
I don't have much to add to this argument today except for evidence that the de-evolution of our world into dystopic dimensions is closer than most of us are comfortable admitting.

1)See this article: Chipped Children: Modern America Dystopia and then tell me big brother is a thing of the distant future!

2) Check out what Peter Diamandis is up to. He's one of visionary few that are spearheading Star Trekkian science. Personally, I think it's awesome stuff, but it does go to show the age we are getting ready to enter. We're practically on the cutting edge of the U.S.S. Enterprise!

3) Also, check out this awesome dystopian literature video.


Okay, maybe this isn't so much a proof as it is me geeking out, but it kinda gives ya chills, doesn't it?

Please do not despair my dystopian-reading peeps and tweeps. Despite all the creepiness and gloom, I personally believe all this to be a good thing.

4) In her article, 7 Reasons Young Adult Books Appeal to Adults, Jacquelyn Mitchard cites one reason as follows:

#3. Do you know where your kids are? Adults who read YA do.

I love this! Mostly because it's funny. *chuckles heartily*

Mitchard goes on to say that it's a great way for adults to understand the mindset of their pubescent kids (a point I actually think is very valid). But I get something simpler from this. No, not a snigger. Okay, not ONLY that.

flickr.com
I think it's about being prepared. And no, I don't mean in terms of stockpiling q-tips, building forts out of your food storage, and practicing fending off bears with your loose-leaf notebook at night. (Although all these things might come in handy during the zombie apocalypse.)

I think people who read about conflict and wade through it with the characters will be more prepared for what real life throws at them.

Am I totally making of excuses to read dystopian novels? Of course! But that doesn't mean they aren't valid!

Happy Dystopic Evolution, Everyone! May the best apocalypse win! :D

3 comments :

  1. Reality happens - can't shelter them forever.
    We are up to the Enterprise world now - we can talk to our computers and they respond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed all the information here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I love this. I completely agree that reading this stuff better prepares you for uncertain futures.

    ReplyDelete