Pages
- Home
- Welcome!
- Current Contest: Desolate Mantle
- Giveaways!
- Advice for Writers
- Visit My Website!
- Crime Fiction: The Botanist
- High Fantasy: Dragon Magic
- The Walking Dead!!!
- Thoughts For Thursday
- Signings and Events
- Contact and Links
- Dystopian: Interchron Series
- Historical Fiction: Kremlins Series
- Crime Fiction: Street Games Series
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Rebellion Against a Collective "Freedom"
| Star Trek Collective: Borg |
While in that class, we read a story about collective minds. I honestly don't remember what the story was called or even what it was about, but it got me thinking about collectivism and specifically about how agency would affect a member of a collective. I became obsessed with the idea of breaking away; of that specific instant when the decision is made.
At the time, I was developing a story. I had roughly half of it, but I felt like I was missing as much as I had. I needed another thread--another plot line to make the story rich and fat. When I started thinking about this idea of an individual making the decision to break away from the collective, I had it! Everything clicked into place so fast that it took my breath away...and I started writing.
Below is a short excerpt from my debut novel, forthcoming fall 2012 (release date TBA). Tell me what you think. Does this interest you at all? What direction would you go with a character like this?
It was an Instant. A single, inappreciable moment in time. He didn’t understand its significance as it
came and went, but he would reflect upon it with near constancy for the rest of
his life.
The Others had been with him for so
long that he no longer knew what it was like to be without them. In that moment, he pulled away. He walled his mind off from theirs and became
Alone.
It was like putting his feet on the
side of a swimming pool and using his own weight and momentum to push off, muscling
through the water as hard as he could, trying to get as much distance as
possible. In his case, the water was
cement that was drying too quickly. The
pushing was excruciating and the more distance he got, the more it hurt.
After what seemed a thousand years,
the pain became numbness…then the loneliness set in. To be so Alone in the darkness; to hear
nothing, except one’s own thoughts…
The terror that crashed in to fill
his chest was consuming.
He curled his body into a fetal
position, wrapping his long arms around his head, and screamed silently. He screamed in his heart and in his soul and
in his mind…but his voice made no utterance.
He crawled through the grass. He couldn’t raise his belly from the ground,
so had to use his arms to drag himself along.
Strangely, despite the loneliness
and horror of his choice, he never reconsidered. He was a revolutionary unto himself, and
there was no going back. Not now, not ever. He’d known that in the Instant he made the
choice, but that seemed so long ago now.
He’d had the others with him only minutes before, but it seemed a
lifetime had passed.
The farther he got from the
encampment, the more physical strength he found. Soon he was able to get up onto his knees and
crawl. He didn’t know if anyone who found
him would act unfavorably, but he didn’t know that they wouldn’t, either. He had to get away.
He could feel them, pushing at the
edges of his consciousness, trying to get back in. His body was very weak but his mind was
not. He kept them out. He just didn’t know if they would be able to
follow their sense of his mind to where he was physically. The farther he got, the longer he was Alone,
the harder they pushed, slamming themselves against the barrier he’d put up
around his mind, trying to get in. He
succeeded in keeping them out. It was
the first time in his life he’d known success against then; but then, it was
the first time he’d wanted to.
When he finally crossed the
Boundary, all sense of them left. He
could no longer feel them trying to get in.
He knew they could no longer feel him.
He collapsed, gasping for air.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

Hi thanks for stoppying by my FF post. I have followed back :)
ReplyDeleteGreat! Thank you! :D
DeleteThanks for stopping by! Following by GFC. :)
ReplyDeleteNo prob! And thanks to you as well! :D
DeleteHappy FF. New follower.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! :D
DeleteHopping through. Have a great weekend Liesel!
ReplyDeleteMy Hop
Great! Thanks for stopping by! :D
DeleteI am hopping through, and got to say that expert was awesome, I will look for your release, sounds like a book I will like. :) Here is my FF Post
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying so! I'll keep you posted! I checked out your blog too and it was great! I look forward to your future blogs! :D
DeleteHi Liesel, new follower here from PVJ FF. I am following you through GFC as lucyatmax. I invite you to visit and follow my blog at: bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com .
ReplyDeleteYou're always welcome!
Beth
Will do! Thanks! :D
Delete