Thursday, June 21, 2012

Follow Friday!





Q: If you could "unread" a book, which one would it be? Is it because you want to start over and experience it again for the first time? Or because it was THAT bad?


I don't think reading is ever a bad thing. Even if you swear you'd never read a particular book or author again, at least you've gained that knowledge and learned something, even if it isn't particularly pleasant. Granted, not the funnest thing ever, but it's life, right? As a writer, I definitely learn a lot from what other authors do wrong. It's much more stimulating to learn from what they do write and try to incorporate their genius into my own writing, but again, you can't win 'em all!

Answer: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time

So my answer would be to un-read something in order to experience it again for the first time. My answer here has to be Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. I began it my sophomore year of high school, or actually just before. I discovered book 1, The Eye of the World, with two weeks until my Sophomore year started. I read books 1 and 2 (about 1500 pages all together) in two weeks and read the rest of the published series (only up to about book 8 or 9 at that point, if I remember right) throughout the year. That series has done more to influence me as a writer and a story-crafter than most other literature combined. I wish I remembered my first impressions. 

Of course, they were probably really intellectual, like, "OMG this is totally awesome! So's that! And that...!" You know, something like that. :D Happy Friday everyone! 

26 comments :

  1. New follower. there's nothong I would love more than to be able to reread my favourite books again for the first time, great choice, my FF

    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/feature-and-follow-friday-31-im.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I first remember someone recommending that series to me in college when I hated fantasy. Now that I love fantasy, I bet I'd really like it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love fantasy, trust me! It's amazing! :D Thanks Allison!

      Delete
  3. Haven't heard of that series. :) New follower.

    My FF: http://moonlightreader.com/feature-follow-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Follower,

    Hadn't heard of this series, might have to check it out since I am enjoying fantasy as of late :).

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read those. Just Hopping through :) New follower via GFC,you can find my FF Here
    Thanks,
    Chrystina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, we did say almost the same thing! Email follower, and thanks for stopping by! Wheel of Time is on my TBR list, I will get to it ... eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. What can we say? Great minds think alike! And yeah, check out WoT. It's awesome! Thanks for stopping by! Your post was great, too! :D

      Delete
  7. To love a series that much!! It must be awesome, indeed. :)

    I'm a new gfc follower. Please follow back if you can.
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/06/ff-feature-and-follow-25.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally is! Thanks for following! I'll do the same! :D

      Delete
  8. Not familiar with this series, hopping by.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh, to feel that in love with a book. I'll definitely have to look into it. I'm a new follower via GFC and invite you to visit me when you can...

    The Scarf Princess

    http://wowfromthescarfprincess.blogspot.com/2012/06/feature-follow-friday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and I'll definitely check out your blog! Happy Friday! :D

      Delete
  10. Your right, reading is never a bad thing :)
    New follower
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog
    Could you check out my kindle giveaway? :-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ms1v8VwEo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  11. You would probably be appalled at my answer. I liked yours though. New follower. Love your blog name!!

    Here's my FF

    Rebecca of Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought your answer was funny, not appalling. Now I have a book I definitely WON'T be adding to my TBR list. I followed you back! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  12. New GFC follower! :) Hmm...I've never read the Wheel of Time series, but I'll have to look into it.

    Check out my blog when you have time! I'm always looking for a new GFC follower!

    http://incandescentenchantments.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower through FF feature. I invite you to follow me at:

    http://openbookemptycup.blogspot.com

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  14. I never read The Wheel of Time, but I heard a lot about Robert Jordan. New GFC Follower.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for following! I really liked your FF post too! I look forward to your future posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, New follower! You can find me here: http://readingunderthewillowtree.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete