Friday, June 8, 2012

Little Princesses and Dark Horses--Part 2

So last week I offered you an image and asked you what it made you think of. It was just an exercise to get the creative juices flowing, and I got some interesting responses. I didn't get a ton of them, so thanks to everyone who participated.

I loved this image when I first read it. It totally sparked my imagination! I thought it could be the great beginning to a story:

The night was moonless, rendering it so dark outside the city walls that the little princess couldn't see her hand in front of her face.  She tucked her golden ringlets deep into the cowl of her father's black cloak, anyway. She couldn't risk being seen.  


The knight she rode behind, Sir Bywain, was loyal to her lady mother. The little princess had known him from the cradle. His black destrier was so tall that she could have walked under it's belly without bending her knees. Sir Bywain called him Ogier.  The princess's tiny ivory shoes were nearly two feet short of the stirrups, but she wasn't afraid of falling off. She'd ridden with Sir Bywain many times, and Ogier didn't frighten her.


What lay before her did, though. She re-affirmed her grip around Sir Bywain's waist and huddled close to his chain mail-covered back. The night was not cold, but she shivered anyway. Any other time, Bywain might have sensed her unease and patted her knee reassuringly.  But not tonight.


Tonight was different...


Or something along those lines. From there, the story could take off in a million directions.  Where is the princess sneaking off to in the middle of the night? Is a secret marriage being arranged? Is she pulling a Princess Leia and carrying spy plans somewhere? Are her parents in danger? Do they know where she is? What is the knight's role in all this?

I love doing exercises like this because, even if it doesn't pan out into a story that I actually write, it gets my creative juices flowing.  I can often even apply what I've come up with to a story I'm currently writing, especially if I've gotten blocked, so it works out well.

What do you think of my beginning about Princesses and Dark Horses?

No comments :

Post a Comment