Monday, May 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Non-Reads + Teasers: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books I Will Probably Never Read

I couldn't think of very many of these. Even if a book is dark, controversial, or I hear people say it's not worth reading for one reason or another, if it's about something I'm interested in, I'll probably have to read it for myself and draw my own opinion one way or the other. 


7. Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James - I've read excerpts from this. The writing is terrible. The plot is terrible. I think it sends all the wrong messages to and about women and relationships in general. Just no. 

6. The Lost Symbol or anything else by Dan Brown - Don't get me wrong, I really liked the DaVinci Code. Brown can definitely write a page turner. The problem is that his main character, Robert Langdon, doesn't undergo any change from the beginning of the book until the end. And the guy isn't particularly heroic to begin with. I also read Angels and Demons and, while it was a pretty good book on it's own, to me it felt like the exact same story as The DaVinci Code, just with names and locations changed. My conclusion: if you've read one Dan Brown novel, you've read them all.

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding - I've never wanted to read this. The premise just turns me off. I've thought in recent years that I probably should read it, just on principle, so that I can have an authoritative opinion about it. But, honestly, with 700 books on my TBR list, the chances of me picking up this one are pretty much nil.

4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck - For some reason, just the way the cards fell, I read TONZ of Steinbeck in high school. I think East of Eden is the only one of his books I haven't read. The problem is, I'm really not a huge fan. Because of that, I've had my fill of Steinbeck and don't feel any particular need to read this.

3. Anything I haven't yet read by Ernest Hemingway -- I definitely haven't read as much Hemingway as Steinbeck, but my reasons are pretty much the same. Just not a huge fan. (I know, I know, I'm the only English major on the planet that doesn't like either of these dudes. Can't help it. Just how I feel.)

2. Erotica/Genre Romance - Just not my thing in either case. I find that I'm never satisfied with these kinds of stories. I prefer other genres.

1. Anything else by Alice Sebold - Sebold actually has a very engaging writing style. I respect her for that. But I've read two of her books and saw the film version of The Lovely Bones, and I'm pretty much always disappointed with where she goes with her plots. She either sets us up for things that don't pay off, or just goes to really bizarre places that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Just not for me.

That's it for me. 

What books will you probably never read?


Teaser Tuesday:


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Source
This week's teasers come from Katie McGarry's Dare You To.


"Uh-huh," she finally responds. "I'm sure you did. Suck-ups do that type of thing. Here's the deal. I avoid you, you avoid me, and when my uncle asks if you helped me today I'll giggle like one of those pathetic girls standing in the hallway and gush about how poor, defenseless me couldn't make it in the big, mean school without big, strong Ryan to help me out." 
"You can giggle?" asks Logan.


What are you reading this week?

16 comments :

  1. I totally agree with you about Alice Sebold's books...The silly ending of The Lovely Bones ruined an otherwise good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I read one that I can't remember the name of--something with moon in the title?--and it was the same way. It's not even so much a let down as just seriously annoying. Anyway, at least I can say I have read her before and have a leg to stand on. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I was never a fan of Lord of the Flies. I had to read it in school. It wasn't enjoyable. Rarely anything was, yet so many people like to go on about how x was their favorite and sometimes it was this one. I was like really?

    But yeah, no 50 Shades for me either. I chose books from my genre that I read from for this one for the most part.

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll see 50 Shades a lot today. As for LotF, I heard so much about it in high school because most people read it, that I feel like I know the story and don't really need to. The way the chips fell, I just never actually had to. (Not sad about that, though. :D) Thanks Jessica!

      Delete
  3. I won't read 50 Shades of Gray, either. I should have put that as the #1 on my list too. I did read Lord of the Flies as a high school freshman, and for the most part I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think we'll see lots of 50 Shades today. Glad you liked LofF. Thanks for stopping by, Charlie! :D

      Delete
  4. LOL this is a great list and I know I'll never be tantalized with any of these books. Especially Lord of the Flies since I wince at children being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Maurice. The whole premise just makes me cringe.

      Delete
  5. Fifty Shades is a popular choice.
    I'll admit it - I'm not a Hemingway fan either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only non-Hemingway worshipper. :D

      Delete
  6. Oy, too bad you are NOT a fan of Steinbeck's writing!! East of Eden is one of my all time favorite books ever written!! Here's a link to my TTT for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-will.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there have been past times when I've thought about reading it just because it's his only major work I haven't read but it's just one of those things: so many books to read, I probably won't ever want to pick it up enough to actually do so. :/ Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  7. Oh, I meant to include Hemingway and I completely forgot! I'm never read any of his books, and I think it's safe to say that I never will. I absolutely agree about Dan Brown -- read one, and there's no need to read any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. :D Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a fantastic week! :D

      Delete
  8. I had 50 Shades of Grey on my list too. I had to read LOTF for school, it was awful! I'm not a fan of Erotica/Romance either, and I probably wouldn't read any Steinbeck or Hemingway.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure 50 Shades was a popular one, and for good reason. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week! :D

      Delete