Monday, May 11, 2015

Dragon Races

Happy Monday, Everyone!

I had no idea what to post today. Weird, I know. I could have figured something out, but I had a really busy weekend and didn't want to think/work really hard. :D

So, I thought I'd ask a question and get some opinions. 

As most of you know, one of my WIPs is a high fantasy about dragons. It's really a back burner project right now as I have three other projects I need to complete before I focus on it. It probably won't be out until next year. But...I do think about it from time to time. 

I have lots of races of dragons in it, and I want to make sure I'm hitting the major climates and terrains. Each species communes with the elements of its environment and takes on the traits of it's surroundings in various ways.

So far, I have...




Forest dragons, 
















Ice dragons, 














Water dragons










Desert dragons (below)                                                                                   Cave dragons






Volcanic Dragons
(think obsidian)



Bonus: Zombie dragon. 
(Not sure if they will actually be in my story but had to post it 'cuz it's cool. :D)


What do you think of my dragon species so far? Can you think of any other kinds I should include? Suggestions welcome. :D

12 comments :

  1. I really like your dragons, I think the water dragon is my favourite out of all of them, I like the way they look when a colour its them so pretty. xx

    http://pavankaur83.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the water dragons are really fun. In fact, that particular story line in the book involves a little boy, and among my beta readers/critique group, that's definitely one of the faves. :D Thanks Pavan!

      Delete
  2. Volcanic Dragon. That sounds really cool. Never thought of ice ones. I have to see, you have a great and terrifying mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still working out the properties of the ice dragons. They're tricky because dragons and fire inherently go together.

      Delete
  3. I like your dragon choices. How about a tropical dragon? Or a space dragon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tropical is interesting. I could do it as a variant of forest or even water. Space dragon sounds awesome! I don't know that I'd go to outer space--though it's definitely food for thought--but it gets me thinking of sky dragons...or cloud dragons, perhaps? Not sure. Great suggestions, though. Thanks Alex! :D

      Delete
  4. I never knew there were so many types of dragons but the ice dragon in How To Train your Dragon 2 was awesome so I'll vote for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've seen that. I'll have to check it out and see how they handled it. Thanks Maurice! :D

      Delete
  5. Pick up a Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (or check out a wiki somewhere). There's a plethora of terrain-specific dragons in there.

    Some obvious ones would be Swamp Dragons, Rainbow Dragons, River/Lake/Sea Dragons (separate from a single water-based species), Sky/Mountain Dragons, Deep Dragons (different from Cave Dragons in that they come from deep, deep below the surface of the earth - could also be called "Earth" Dragons), Doom/Annihilation Dragons.

    To play on Alex's idea, Celestial Dragons do not necessarily have to be encountered in outer space, but can come from some mythical place "beyond the stars" to encounter mortals on Earth.

    Hope that gets the ball rolling... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that helps a lot! Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  6. Fire dragon? Or is that just assumed?
    How about a Tar Dragon or Electric Dragon?
    Maybe even something less tangible like a Thought Dragon?
    Now I want to write about dragons. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. They're a little bit intoxicating, aren't they. I really like the idea of a thought dragon. Might have to think about that one more. Fire dragon is assumed, but if it was fire incarnate it might tie into the volcanic dragon. Same with the tar dragon, to a certain extent. Great ideas, though. Thanks so much! :D

      Delete