Monday, May 11, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I Want to Meet + Teasers

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


Ten Authors I REALLY Want To Meet

Couple of things. As an author myself, I don't think I get quite as worked up about meeting authors as others in the bookish community. Not that I don't want to meet them, but I'd be just as excited to meet and unknown author as to meet a famous one. 

Also, do all authors on our list have to be living?

10. Charles Dickens - I'd love to talk to him about how he formulated his stories. Of course I'd probably just giggle at his accent.
9. Cormac McCarthy - I totally want to talk to him about the way he writes and why he does it that way.
8. Shakespeare - 'Cuz, obviously...
7. Bram Stoker - Totally want to talk to him about how he came up with the iconic villain that now so permeates our culture.
6. Katie McGarry 
5. Joseph Conrad - I'd love to hear his passion/apathy theories from his own mouth and how he formulated them. 
4. Terry Goodkind - I loved his Sword of Truth series.
3. Brandon Sanderson - I've actually met him before but it was very brief and I didn't get to talk to him much. I'd really like to pick his brain.
2. J.K. Rowling - Again, obviously...
1. Robert Jordan - Unfortunately he passed away in 2007, but I'd still really like to meet him. 

Teaser Tuesday:


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Source
This week's teasers come from Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys.
"Listen," I said. "The men." It grew louder. Louder. They were singing, singing at the top of their lungs. Andrius joined, and then my brother and the gray-haired man. And finally, the bald man joined in, singing our national anthem. Lithuania, land of heroes... 
I wept.
What are you reading this week?

18 comments :

  1. Great list! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to pick a few dead authors, too. ;) J. K. Rowling made my list, too, and I imagine Bram Stoker would be a pretty interesting guy to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! Hope you had a great Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  2. Nice teaser! And list! Seeing lots of J.K. Rowling! Though one or two lists so far don't include her! Shocking! LOL!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah I figured we'd see a lot of her, but who wouldn't want to meet her. Thanks Jessica! :D

      Delete
  3. I would love to meet Cormac McCarthy, too. It would probably be a miserable meeting, but I really want I ask him: "What the f*** is wrong with you?"

    Chuck Palahniuk for similar reasons.

    Also, Terry Pratchett, cause that would mean he was still alive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah, good ones. I would liked to have met Pratchett myself. :D

      Delete
  4. I love how you chose Rowling she seems amazing and a really great person. :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as an author myself I'd love to just be in the same room with her and hope some of her success rubbed off on me. LOL. Thanks Christine!

      Delete
  5. Brandon Sanderson would be cool to meet. I met Terry Brooks many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I've never met Brooks, but as I said, I have met Sanderson briefly. He's super-cool. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  6. Bram Stoker made my list as well. Can you imagine the look on his face when he hears what vampires have become today - aka Twilight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I think he'd be horrified. (No pun intended. :D)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read Dracula, but I think Bram Stoker would be a very interested person to hold a conversation with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh nice teaser. I have Between Shades of Grey and that's made me look forward to reading it even more.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/top-ten-tuesday-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good so far! Hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. Thanks JJ! :D

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Gotta love Rowling. :D Thanks Charlie!

      Delete