Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Review: The Scorch Trials

Source
After reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner a few months ago, I knew I'd want to read the rest of the series. I finally got a chance to read book 2, The Scorch Trials in April, but due to the A to Z Challenge on my blog and tons of other things going on in my life, I haven't posted a review of it yet.

I usually don't like to do reviews so far after I've read the book. I tend to forget the details and what my first impressions were. Because of that, this review will be on the shorter side.

**I stay largely away from spoilers in my reviews but there may be some minor ones, especially for book 1. Read at your own risk!**

Plot: The story picks up pretty much exactly where it left off, with our group of boys in a bunker of sorts, hoping to learn the truth of the Maze and all their previous trials. Instantly things get weird, though, and it seems their brief 'sanctuary' wasn't a sanctuary at all, but rather just a respite between periods of drama, and perhaps even a passage into the next phase. We learn more about the virus that seems to have ruined the world, and what it does to it's victims, but as per usual there are more questions than answers.

One thing I will say about this series, it is anything but predictable. I can never even begin to imagine where Dashner is taking us next. And that's refreshing.

Characters: As in the first book, we get a lot of character development with Thomas as his relationships with the other boys, Teresa, and a new girl in his life develop. There are endless complications and contingencies to wade through, with plenty of dystopian death and drama along the way. Good times.

World-Building: The world in book 2 is very different than book 1. Where the first one consisted of the maze, with lots of vines and greenery (the feel of it was somewhere between woodsy and tropical), book 2 takes place in a waterless desert (hence the title). It's just as vivid and exotic as book 1's locale, though. How different it is from book 1 is kind of shocking to the senses.

Ending: The ending, as you might imagine, leaves the reader salivating for book 3. I kind of figured it would. Overall, though, I felt it closed and summed up most of the threads for this book, so it was a satisfactory ending. Of course now I'm going to have to finish the trilogy. Eventually. :D

Has anyone else read Dashner? What did you think of him?

2 comments :

  1. Great review :)
    I'll begin reading this soon......Good to know The Scorch Trials delivers.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete