Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thoughts for Thursday: Mystery

Thoughts for Thursday is a new feature hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

For anyone who follows my LKHill blog, it's no surprise that I love mystery. I often post crime tidbits about very old cold cases. It combines my passions for history and mystery. Why are we all so intrigued by mystery in general? (Incidentally, Captain Picard once gave something of a speech about this.) On that note, this week's theme is Mystery


"Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand."--Neil Armstrong

"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."--Albert Einstein

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, marine biologist

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."--Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

"Margo always loved mysteries. And in everything that came afterward, I could never stop thinking that maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one."--John Green, Paper Towns

“My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere...I crave for mental exaltation. .”--Arthur Conan Doyle, The Sign of Four

"Madness and despair are a force. Madness and despair! Give me that for a lever, and I'll move the world."--Joseph Conrad, The Secret Agent

Which quote about mystery is your favorite? Do you have one to add?

2 comments :

  1. I guess I'm not moving the world, as I'll pass on madness and despair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Right? There are other ways to move the world. Of course, in writing, madness and despair (maybe just tragedy in general) might be the quickest way to move our characters. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete