Monday, May 12, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Almost DNF's

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books I Almost Put Down but Didn't(All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

So I have a bit of a finishing complex when it comes to books. It's very rare that I do not finish or even consider not finishing. So in a way, this is a list of books I just didn't like and actually considered not finishing.



1. Millenium Trilogy -- I've ranted about this on numerous occasions, so suffice it to say I just hated it. Book 1 was pretty good. Books 2 and 3 not so much.




2. World War Z -- Lots of people loved this book, but I just couldn't keep my head in it. It was made up of lots of different stories, which is interesting, but there weren't any common threads or characters to link together and root for, so I just got bored. I finished, but only because I skimmed large sections of it. I know I'm in the minority on this one, though.



3. Heart of Darkness -- Not sure if this counts, because this is one of my all-time favorite books and I was sort of forced to read it the first time (for school), so didn't really have the option of not finishing. But, the first time I read it I struggled through it and didn't particularly like it...until I got to the end. Then everything clicked into place and it's been one of my favorite classics ever since.




4. The Neverending Story -- I totally loved the '80s movie made from this. I grew up on it and was curious to find out how the book differed. Really, this was mostly a translation issue. It was originally written in German and the only translation available is choppy and all in passive voice, which makes it hard to stay with. Great story. Terrible read.




5. Anna Karenina -- This is a classic story with terribly interesting characters. But, there are some translation issues, and then there's the fact that I promise you will really, really, really hate the main character. That makes it difficult. I stuck with it just to say that I've read Tolstoy, and I was glad for the accomplishment, but I doubt I'll ever pick the book up again.



That's all I can think of.

What books did YOU almost DNF?

10 comments :

  1. You're not the only one who grew bored with World War Z - I've heard others say the same.
    I barely made it through The Terror. Promised myself I wouldn't torture myself like that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one, Alex. I haven't heard of The Terror, but per your trouble with it, I won't check it out. :D

      Delete
  2. I did not come anywhere near finishing the Millenium Trilogy. I didn't even finish the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually pretty okay with book 1, but only because of the whodunit-type mystery. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have finished it either. The second two were all-out snooze-fests. Thanks for stopping by Teisha! :D

      Delete
  3. Well done for completing Anna Karenina! That really is an accomplishment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I never read Neverending Story because I love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, too. Grew up on it. The book didn't ruin the film for me or anything. It just wasn't nearly as good. Thanks Maurice! :D

      Delete
  5. I gave up on this week's TTT because either I like a book enough to finish it -- or I realize I hate it (or I'm bored) and DNF it. I just couldn't think of a thing to include! For what it's worth, I hated the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (although I finished it), and never read the other two. I've had a copy of World War Z on my shelf for a while now. Maybe someday... or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah, as you can see I only came up with five, and even those I had to wrack my brain for, so obviously it wasn't the easiest subject for me either. You'll have to let me know if you like WWZ (if you ever read it). :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete