Monday, May 19, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books About Friendship

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books About Friendship (All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

Most of these are books or series that have friends/friendship I greatly admired or enjoyed reading about. 



10. The Once and Future King by T.H. White -- I haven't read this one in years and keep meaning to re-read it, but it starts off with Arthur and the boys who will become his knights and punk kids, and follows them into adulthood, where they become loyal knights of the round table, and proceed to get themselves mired in all kinds of drama and tragedy. And then of course there is the legendary friendship between Arthur and Lancelot.



9. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia -- I loved Ethan's best friend, Link, in the books. He was largely left out of the film version, but he was one of my favorite parts of the first book. Always funny, loyal, and delightful to read about.




8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor -- Another best-friend-to-the-MC that I love. Can't think of her name off the top of my head, but she has some of the wittiest banter I've read in a long time. Love her!



7. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare -- Any book that features an ensemble of character is bound to deal with friendship. I especially like the friendship between Clary and Simon. It starts out as unrequited love on Simon's part, but they end up being close friends and very loyal. Love that!



6. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card -- This is generally praised for what it says about familial relationships and how complicated they are, but it covers friendship, too. Ender makes both friends and enemies and those are juxtaposed with his familial relationships which fall on different planes at different times. 




5. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis -- This deals not only with siblings, but with friendships between humans and animals/fantasy creatures. Lots of fun.




4. Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent -- Another one where I loved the MC's BFF: Emma. I always enjoyed her scenes and liked her characters a lot.



3. Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan -- Another ensemble cast of characters. They each grow up, travel the world, and have to deal with their own issues and dramas. It's one of those things where you're constantly hoping we get more reunions, or that someone will wax nostalgic about their humble beginnings. We don't get nearly enough of that by story's end.


Source


2. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling -- I have a feeling this one will be on a lot of lists this week, and rightly so. I doubt I need to say much about the friendships in these books.





1. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien -- Samwise and Frodo; Merry and Pippin. The ultimate loyal relationships. 'Nuff said.






What are your top ten books about friendship?

19 comments :

  1. Harry Potter is on my list too, obviously. And I just started reading The Once and Future King and couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I hope you like The Once and Future King! It's terribly tragic, but definitely worth the read!

      Delete
  2. Ender's Game is a great choice since they started as misfits and became heroes. I'd add John Carter of Mars since his loyalty to his friends is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one. I haven't read the book but I did see the film and was more impressed with the story line than I would have thought. Totally want to read the book now. :D Thanks Maurice!

      Delete
  3. Sam and Frodo, and Merry and Pippin are some of my favorite friendships. I also liked how Simon and Clary's friendship grew and changed. :)

    Shelly @ Raindrops and Pages' Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, those are all so well-written. Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. I think it's great that Harry Potter is on so many lists this week. I think it includes such a wonderful bunch of friendships that are so important to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Lots of love for Harry today!! I chose Soul Screamers too!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, gotta love Harry and his pals. (And Kaylee and her pals!) Thanks Jessica! :D

      Delete
  6. Link was my favorite character in Beautiful Creatures as well. It's so true, every book in the Chronicles of Narnia features great friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, love those ones. They make the stories so much more powerful. Thanks for stopping by Jaime!

      Delete
  7. So happy that Ender's Game made someone else's list! I find the friendships in that book to be really important.

    Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. They're amazing! Thanks so much for stopping by, Emily! :D

      Delete
  8. Great choices. Harry Potter made the top of my list, so many amazing friendships in that book. I haven't read LOTR and have only seen the films. If the friendships are as brilliant in the book as they are in the film then I would have struggled to pick between them. The LOTR friendships are amazing <3 Nice list :) Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say the LOTR friendships are actually more powerful in the books than on screen. Both them and HP are amazing specifically because of the relationships between the characters. Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ellie! Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  10. Ah, I didn't think about Clary and Simon, but you're right, their friendship is terrific. Narnia is a great choice as well... and I really do need to read The Once and Future King. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week! :D

      Delete