Monday, December 16, 2013

Songs for Writers: Monster by Eminem and Rihanna

Okay, this might be a sort of lame Monday post, but I was pressed for time this weekend, so deal with it.


Source
One of my sisters is a big Eminem fan. She's not big on his really vulgar, exploitative stuff, but she always just says she loves the sound of his voice and the songs that are more tragic or meaningful without being too R-rated.

I'm not as big a fan as she is, but there's a few Eminem songs I can get behind. The more I listen, the more I like, even if I am very picky about which of his songs I can stand to listen to.

That said, my sister recently introduced me to the song Monster, sung by Eminem and Rihanna. I was more open to listening to it than I probably would have otherwise been, mostly because the last collaboration of these two, Love the Way You Lie, (listen HERE) was a song I liked. That one is both tragic and haunting, but if you've ever been witness to an abusive relationship (I have) or perhaps been in one, there's a lot of truth in it.

So, I listened to Monster. It just made me smile. This is SO a writer's song. I don't know if it's meant to be, or if it was written about something else entirely, but as a writer, I can really get behind it.

Some of the lyrics:

I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed,
Get along with the voices inside of my head.
You keep trying to save me, stop holding your breath.
And you think I'm crazy, and you think I'm crazy...well that's not fair!

Eminem's part talks about poetry and how if he can affect even one person's life, all the drama and agony is worth it. (A common theme for him.)

Anyway, watch/listen to the song below (courtesy of youtube.com) and tell me what you think. 




What did this song make you think of? Did you relate it to your writing or some other part of you life?

1 comment :