Monday, August 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: First Timers

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books I'd Give to Readers Who've Never Read X

I didn't think I could come up with a full ten for any given genre, except perhaps fantasy, and I've totally done that post before. So, I've got lots of genres here with a few choices for each.

Source
Epic Fantasy: The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time), Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth), A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice)

Contemporary YA: Anything by Katie McGarry. I'm actually not a fan of contemporary, but I'd read anything by McGarry.

Historical Fiction: The Heretic Queen, Citadels of Fire ('cuz, you know. :D)

YA Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter), The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia), 

YA Paranormal: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments), Twilight

What Top Ten Books in a particular genre would you recommend to a first-timer?

12 comments :

  1. For fantasy, I'd recommend Sword of Shannara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think I have a Shannara book on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Guess I need to get on that. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  2. I like your interpretation of the topic and how you gave books in different genres instead of focusing on just one. I would personally consider your YA Fantasy titles to be MG Fantasy though. (That's what my list is on.) :) I definitely think HP switches over to YA after book three, but those first three books are so perfectly MG.

    I still need to read Katie McGarry. Her books are on my TBR, but other things keep taking precedence. Maybe I should bump them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about HP. It started out as MG but definitely didn't stay that way. :D And definitely make time for McGarry! Thanks Brandy!

      Delete
  3. I have made it my new goal to own and read all of The Wheel of Times books. So far I own books 1, 11, 12 and 13. Yes, way out of order, but hey! They books were on sale. Have you read Brandon Sanderson's, The Stormlight Archives? If you like Robert Jordan then you'll lover Sanderson.
    Great list of books and authors!
    Michelle
    My Top Ten @ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have read the Stormlight Archives, just recently. And yes, I loved them. I really want to read Steelheart and the Mistborn trilogy. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle! :D

      Delete
  4. I think maybe I should have broken mine down into categories as well! Great list this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I'm excited to check out the Epic Fantasy ones I havne't read any of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh they're awesome. Hope you love 'em! :D

      Delete