Sunday, August 3, 2014
Knife of Dreams Read-Along, Week 3
Welcome to week 3 of our Knife of Dreams Read-Along! This week we read chapters 2-7. Remember that everything in this section as well as everything that's come before is fair game for spoilers, so read at your own risk. I'm hosting this week!
1) We finally get more details on Aludra's plans with the elusive bell founders and all. Do you see this plan succeeding? What will it mean for the Last Battle? How will it play out?
I won't say and spoil but it's pretty cool. :D
2) Mistress Anan finally reveals some of her past. Were you surprised by anything she said?
I don't remember if I figured it out the first time I read it, but the second time through it seemed pretty obvious that she used to be Aes Sedai. I'm actually kind of surprised that she just admitted it, rather than saying something cleverly diverting or just outright denying it.
3) We saw tons of Mat and Tuon this week. From her snapping a'dam onto Aes Sedai necks to finding out she might have had her siblings assassinated to seeing Suroth's plan to declare her an impostor and have her killed in action to participating in a knife fight for/with her, Mat had his hands full. Feel free to comment on any part of this story line. What stood out to you, shocked you, delighted you? Where do you think it will go from here? What repercussions will it have?
All kinds of stuff going on with these two this week. Her putting the a'dam on the Aes Sedai was kind of shocking, but in a lot of ways, I think it might have been good for them. Put some humility in them, you know? I think it's hilarious that Mat's future wife might just assassinate him if he pisses her off. About time he learns to understand women, eh? The knife fight was cool, and I thought it was awesome that Tuon participated, even kind of saving Mat. It shows that she's tougher than she looks, and is already quite loyal to Mat. It was also interesting that she saw the whole name thing as a game. And she won. Now that Mat's marrying her, I don't think he gets to win anymore. :D
The whole thing where Vane got uppity and left the dice game and then showed up to attack Mat was kind of obvious to me. Anyone else?
4) A Shiota ghost town makes a rather disturbing appearance in Mat's life. What do you think was the cause of it, and what does it mean for our characters?
That was creepy, right? It might have been another bubble of evil, or maybe just evidence that the Last Battle is drawing near. The Dark One touching the world, and such.
|Mat, Thom and Noal doing...uh, something.|
5) Apparently Mat, Thom, and Noal might be setting out to rescue Moiraine. Were you surprised by this, or by what was finally revealed to be in her letter to Thom? Do you think they can succeed?
We'e been waiting for this for so long! The letter was quite telling about Thom and Moiraine's relationship (assuming they can rescue her). "My dearest Thom" doesn't sound like it's squarely in the friend zone.
I wasn't totally surprised by this. Lots of people thought Moiraine might show up again. This is the classic mentor-who-"dies"-then-suddenly-reappears-in-another-book thing. See: Gandalf, Dumbledore, Aslan, etc. The difference is that Jordan has made us wait six books and something like 5,000 pages for the mere mention that she might be able to return. And yes, if anyone can succeed, I think Mat, Thom, and Noal can. You couldn't ask for better rescuers! :D
|Perrin Aybara (Source)|
6) Someone tried to assassinate Perrin. Who do you think it was and why? What do you think of how things are going with his alliance with the Seanchan? Will their forkroot plan work?
I honestly don't remember who it was or if we ever find out who or why. I think just about anyone might have wanted to. The Forsaken, anyone who doesn't like the idea of the Dragon Reborn's BFF making nice with the Seanchan, maybe Sevanna? I actually think their alliance is going well. If anyone can make this work, it's easy-going Perrin. It seems like the Seanchan are beginning to genuinely respect him.
As for the plan, I'm sure it will work, but, as always, I'm sure they'll also run into unforeseen difficulties. We can always count on that. :D
Bayle Domon and Egeanin got married. Yea! I loved how everyone gave Mat sympathetic looks and talked about how fickle women are, but it doesn't occur to anyone that Mat and Egeanin's supposed relationship might have been a load of crap. :D
What did everyone else think of this section?