Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Movie Review: Gravity

Source
I finally saw Gravity. When I first saw trailers for this film, and then heard a lot of buzz about it, I have to admit, I didn't see the appeal. I mean, ninety minutes of someone flailing around in space? The premise seemed intense, but I just couldn't see the execution being anything but kind of boring. Even when people I trusted saw it and said it was good, I still wasn't sure. Their endorsements made me want to see it more, but I wasn't convinced I'd like it.

I got it from Redbox over the weekend and guess what? I loved this movie. I couldn't believe how much I liked it, how touching it was. See, I was thinking about it all wrong. This is not a film about people flailing around in space. It's actually a story about an intensely spiritual experience, that just happens to be set against the backdrop of a tragedy that happens in space. 

It's all about the main character facing a set of mind-blowingly tragic circumstances, and how it changes her. In ninety minutes, everything she knows changes. She re-examines the darkest parts of her life, and how she has let her past stagnate her. She loses friends and colleagues, goes from determination to live to darkest despair when she believes she's about to die and there's nothing to be done, and then back to determination and acceptance of whatever comes. No wonder this story got so much attention. It was fantastic! Sandra Bullock did SUCH a good job. 

Most crazy tragic lines of the film:
"I know, we're all gonna die. Everybody knows that. But I'm going to die today. Funny that... you know, to know. But the thing is, is that I'm still scared. Really scared. Nobody will mourn for me, no one will pray for my soul. Will you mourn for me? Will you say a prayer for me? Or is it too late... ah, I mean I'd say one for myself but I've never prayed in my life. Nobody ever taught me how... nobody ever taught me how..."

Yeah, I was totally in tears during this scene.

Anyway, I was totally wrong about this film. If you haven't seen it, do! It's deep, intense, and totally inspiring. 

Has anyone else seen Gravity? What did you think of it?

8 comments :

  1. I haven't seen this movie yet because my friend told me she fell asleep watching it. But after reading your review, I guess I may have to check this out after all! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it as much as I did, Kimi. Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. Flailing about in space - funny! Glad you finally watched it. I thought it was really well done. Bullock pulled it off by herself. And the special effects were like nothing I'd ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the effects were definitely awesome too! :D

      Delete
  3. I loved this movie. It was so intense! I thought Sandra Bullock was phenomenal. There was that one part when she used a fire extinguisher and all I could think about was the movie W.A.L.L.E lol
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make the WALLE connection, but totally! Haha. Thanks Monique! ;D

      Delete
  4. Hi Liesel. This might interest you. Jonas Cuaron, who co-wrote Gravity, also filmed a short film showing the radio conversation (with the dogs and the baby and the prayer) from Aningaaq's perspective.

    Here: http://youtu.be/0zcYkuIzzy8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh interesting! Thanks for the link, Eivind. I'll definitely check it out. :D

      Delete