Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Book Review: Ender's Game + NaNo Updates!

I didn't mention it yet, I don't think, but I'm trying to finish the second book in my Street Games series for NaNo. I'd started writing it before November, but I only had about 5,000 words. I think it will be longer than 55,000--more in the 70-90,000 range, but I think I can finish it, or if not that, come very close.

I'm tentatively calling book 2 Desolate Mantle.

Yesterday, I wrote 4898 words, which puts me at 12303 for NaNo and 25,997 for the novel. 

For more info on book 1, Dark Remnants, click the link. It's currently priced at $0.99, though that will probably change when I finish book 2. 

Meanwhile, I did manage to finish a book last week! (Yeah!)

Source
I finally got around to reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card! I could swear I read this book as a kid, but now I kind of don't think so. Maybe I picked it up but never actually read it. I have a pretty good memory and I think it would seem at least vaguely familiar to me if I'd read it before. And it didn't. Not at all.

But, no worries. I have now read it and actually saw the film right afterward, over the weekend. I'll review it here tomorrow, so come back to see what I thought.

As for the book, I freakin' loved it! I didn't go into it thinking I'd like it so much. It's was just fascinating! I'm not very familiar with Card's work, despite knowing very well who he is (we share a religion) but I can say now with absolute confidence that Orson Scott Card is a genius.

Ender is the youngest of three children. But he lives in a society that limits most families to two children in order to control the population. His parents had to get special permission to have him. He thinks they only did it to put him into school. Card does a good job of showing that, even though Ender thinks his parents never truly wanted him, the opposite was most likely true. Ender just can't see it. When he is asked to join battle school, he feels obligated to do so, so that as a "Third" he will not be an embarrassment to his parents.

There's a lot of sadness in this book from the get-go. Ender's older brother, Peter, is mean and violent, showing serial killer tendencies such as killing small animals. Between him, and other bullies at school, Ender gets beat up a lot. He's small, but smarter than most, which is why he makes it to battle school and why he's often the object of bullying. There were parts that brought me to tears. (I'm looking at you, scene-with-Valentine-on-the-lake). 

This may sound like a typical anti-bullying middle grade read, but it's not. Not at all. The science is interesting, but it's really being inside Ender's head and seeing him run through all his strategy that makes the book truly addictive. The characters are young children (Ender is six as the book begins) but they are so intelligent, that they think like adults. So they have more book smarts than most normal adults will attain in their lifetimes, but they still have the emotional vulnerability of children. Sorry to keep quoting Mr. Spock, but simply fascinating. I really couldn't put this book down. I totally loved it and would recommend it to absolutely anyone. Totally gonna go shove it down my younger brothers' throats and tell them to read it or no Thanksgiving pie for them! Okay, I really won't. I'm not that mean. But I am going to tell them to read it. Because everyone should read this book once. Especially young boys. 

That, and I need someone to geek out about it with. :D So yeah, go read this one. And then you can see the film. :D Come back tomorrow for my review of that story medium for this book. :D

Has anyone else read Ender's Game? How did you like it?

1 comment :

  1. I loved this book Liesel, which is why I was surprised that a lot of people don't like it. The movie did OK, but I doubt it'll get a sequel.

    ReplyDelete