Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Mermaid Lit Challenge, Week 5 + Follow Friday

Welcome to Week 5 of the Mermaid Lit Summer Reading Challenge! Below is my review for this week. If you have one of your own, feel free to link up with us and be sure to visit the others to see what they thought of their reads for this week! You may join the challenge anytime you like. See rules HERE. (Follow Friday below!)


Source
The mermaid book I read this week is called Fathomless by Jackson PearceThis is the first book I've ever read by Pearce, though I have her other two fairy tale retellings on my TBR list. 

And I gotta say, I LOVED this book!

I've been so impressed with the mermaid books I've read lately. So far they've all been creative, well-written takes on the legend. I've also been impressed at how well the authors incorporate aspects of the true mermaid legend that those who are only familiar with the Disney version wouldn't know, like that mermaids are supposed to get a human man to fall in love with them in order to win themselves a soul.

Well, this book went above and beyond. Pearce has a style of writing that is full of emotion. She hooks you right around the heart and makes you feel for the characters. More than any of the other mermaid books I've read, I was so invested in this story! Once I got to 2/3 of the way through it, I simply couldn't stop reading, and my heart really hurt for the characters.

This is written in a unique way as well. We get POVs from three characters, though its really only two people. I'm not gonna tell you why. It's a unique take on the mermaid legend that I couldn't even begin to explain, but whatever you're thinking from what I just said, I guarantee its more complicated than that.

And the climax of the story was so epic! Not only was plot and the action and the emotion at a high point, but there was a hurricane happening. The wind was blowing, people were shouting to be heard, there were monsters. It was fabulous! 

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on Pearce's other novels now because if they're all as good as this one, she may just be my new favorite author of fairy tale retellings.

Has anyone else read Pearce? What do you think of her? (Remember to link up below if you have a mermaid review this week. :D)



***Hey Everyone, I have a new email form for those who would like to follow via email. Those who follow via email will get my short story, The Hatching, which usually sells on Amazon for $0.99 for FREE! If you are currently following via GFC, will you follow via Linky, Networked Blogs or email anyway? Thanks a ton! Happy Friday!*** 


Follow Friday

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.


The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs! 


How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Q: Activity: Spine Poetry. Create a line of poetry with your book spines (take a picture). Not feeling creative? Tell us about your favorite poem.



For this one, I just looked at a bunch that were on my kindle and clicked a picture. I also added a couple of small articles so it would (kind of) make more sense. (Disclaimer: I've never claimed to have poetry talent. :D) Here goes nothing:

Brood of bones, 
Carnival of Souls.
Divergent, Beautiful Chaos.
Driven to Kill.
Undeniable Insight the Eve of The Frey
The Golden Chord or Overkill?
Hush, Hush.

How did everyone else do on their title poems?


34 comments :

  1. Very nicely done! I'm not too creative when it comes to Poetry so I posted a favorite instead.

    Thanks for stopping by.
    Happy Friday :)

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you put some titles in the same line, it worked out beautifully! Fantastic poem :)) I'm a huge fan of poetry and so far yours is my favorite!!

    My FF HERE.

    -Seirra @ Dear, Restless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The Hush, Hush at the end really nails it :D I am of course an old follower, but did follow by email as asked :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi following thru from Parajunkie's follow friday.
    New follower, u can follow me back at "SnowRavyn's Reviews"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I definitely agree with Jaclyn that the Hush, Hush at the end really killed it. :D New GFC follower :)


    My Feature & Follow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice poem! I didn't even try!

    New follower with GFC! My FF Post

    katy @ a blighted one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem! Have a nice weekend :) Old follower!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great poem! I loved how you combined titles in the lines. Thanks for coming by this week! Have a great Friday :D

    Traci @ Mad Hatter Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Old follower. My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty neat poem. I totally wish I'd thought of using my kindle books!
    I'm an old follower via email.
    Here's my Feature and Follow Friday Post
    Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice. I like the Hush Hish part. :)
    Here is my FF http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/2013/06/feature-and-follow-15-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that was amazing!!!!! Nice. Everyone has been ridiculously talented tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Liesel! I am terrible at creating, so I just went with my favorite poem, LOL.

    Old Follower

    My FF

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  14. very creepy sounding! Saying hi on both your blogs, I'm awesome! haha! Lol!

    Here's My FF

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Post
    Hopping Along, Have an awesome Friday!
    Following :) via GFC
    Danielle @ Coffee and Characters
    My FF http://www.daniellecromero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's creative that you used titles on your Kindle! :) Good thinking. And the poem is very dark and creepy in a good way. I used contemporary fiction spines, and now I think on it mine is just a step down from a planned parenthood advertisement! :) LOL Old GFC follower passing through, visit my FF at:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/06/follow-me-friday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice poem, just blogging by.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it. Mine is not that great

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your poem! You can find mine here.

    I was already following via GFC, but now, I'm also following via Networked Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man, if I'd used all my Nook books I would have had a much harder time creating a poem - too many choices! Great job though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I’m Nova! You probably haven’t heard of me. I’m going out of my way to be more social (@NovaBlogder on twitter… Trying to tweet more.) That being said…

    Just saying, it's a billion times better than what I made, so whatever. I didn't even MAKE my own poetry. I like how you just took what you had and made something cool from that!

    Followed!
    My feature... Don’t forget to follow!
    - Nova @ Musings of a Blogder

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds pretty good. Loved Hush, Hush.

    Have a great weekend
    My Feature & Follow

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty good! new follower here!
    rainydayreadingreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great one! I love the ending a lot. :) Old follower :D My FF @ Donnie Darko Girl

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really nice!!!! I like your kindle idea :)

    New Follower!

    My FF

    La'Mecia @RottenAppleReads

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a new follower! Check out my FF
    Love,
    Elizabeth @ Stuffed Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very lovely poem! Thanks for stopping by earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi I'm new to blogging and following thru from Parajunkie's follow friday.

    I did do all this on Friday, but stupid me accidentally went and deleted the wrong blog, I lost everything...so here I am starting all over again from scratch... :(

    You can follow me back at "SnowRavyn's Reviews"

    ReplyDelete