Monday, June 10, 2013

Game of Thrones Recap--Season Finale!!!

I can't believe the season is over already! :( Now we have to wait almost a year to get more. Of course, that's a relatively short period compared to how far away the release of book 6 is expected to be (not until 2015!) ***Remember, blatant spoilers in this post! Don't read until you've seen the episode, unless you want to be spoiled. ;) ***

Source
So we start out almost exactly where we left off--at the Red Wedding. Robb's men outside the castle are being slaughtered as the Hound makes off with Arya in the night. Before going, he sees the severed head of Robb's wolf being hoisted on a stick. We don't see Robb himself being beheaded, but I suppose that's a little much even for HBO.


Source
Next we see Sansa and Tyrion talking. It's actually a kind of sweet heart-to-heart where we see them getting along and also her naivete when it comes to swear words. But then Tyrion is called away to a Small Council meeting where he's given the news about the Red Wedding. At the meeting, we  see Joffery watering at the mouth with the intention to do still-more-disgusting things to torture Sansa. No one can control him, and he greatly insults Tywin (proof by itself of his insanity) before being bundled off to bed. Joff is becoming crazier by the week, and its clear that no one can truly control him.

Source
Then we see Bran and his gang, sleeping in the abandoned Dreadfort along the wall. Bran tells a story illustrating the tradition of guest right in the Seven Kingdoms. I think they should have done this earlier. Perhaps it would have been too obvious a foreshadowing, but last week I had to explain the guest right custom to my sisters and why it was such a deep betrayal. Then, this week, Bran explains it. I think that could have been timed better.

We see Bolton (who betrayed Robb) talking to Frey. He finally reveals the truth--which readers of the books knew all along--that Theon is holed up in Winterfell, which is being occupied by Ramsey Snow, Lord Bolton's bastard. Theon, still alive and broken, being tortured by Ramsey, who claims he's ingesting Theon's severed parts. We also get the origin of his later name: Reek.

Source
Sam and Gilly show up in the Dreadfort and figure out that Bran is Jon's brother. They direct the youngsters on how to get north of the wall, after begging them to come to Castle Black, warning them about Wildlings and White Walkers, and giving them dragon glass to defend themselves.

Theon's father and sister receive news of his whereabouts, as well as a box containing certain parts of him that weren't ingested after all. While Theon's father couldn't care less about his son's welfare, his sister Asha sets sail to find him, setting us up nicely for next season.

Source
One of my favorite threads in this episode was that of Davos. He visits Gendry and obviously regards him as a kindred spirit, and a little like his lost son. I thought this was very well done. Eventually, after receiving news of the Red Wedding, Stannis declares that Gendry must die. Davos sets the boy free and sends him toward King's Landing, giving him instructions on how to go unseen. Again, this aspect of Gendry's story line is quite a departure from the books. While I'm disappointed that we've lost a lot of Arya/Gendry time, I am interested to see where they go with this. (Aside: Don't you just love how it's the middle ages and no one bathes, and Gendry's a POW, but somehow still has a perfectly manicured goatee?)

Source
Varys approaches Shay and offers her a fortune in diamonds to leave and start a new life elsewhere. She rejects it. Not sure if I like this. I almost think they may be setting her up as someone with good intentions for the end of next season. I won't say what happens, but in the book her intentions weren't good and I think they're trying to make her somewhat heroic. Especially because Varys makes a point of saying that Tyrion may need protection. Not sure I like that.

Later, after some funny one-liners--"It's not easy being drunk all the time," and "Everyone would do it, if it was easy."--Tyrion talks with Cersei about marriages, babies, and when the war will end. The answer: not for a very long time.

Source
Arya and the Hound happen upon a group of Frey soldiers boasting about their exploits at the Red Wedding. Arya jumps down and kills one of them. This was one of the most explosive scenes in the episode. I totally saw it coming, especially when she dropped Jacqen's coin, but my brother about had a meltdown. (I laughed heartily at him.)

Jon, after being shot with arrows by Ygritte--tough break!--finally returns to the wall. His reunion with Pip and Sam was sweet, but I confess I was a bit disappointed that they didn't end this in more of a cliff-hanger way. I know there was a time crunch, but I think we could have skipped over a lot of Theon-torture and made an extra 15 or 20 minutes to make the end of the season better. As it was, it was a bit anti-climatic.

Jaime and Brienne return to the capital, reuniting our incestuous twins. Luckily, they didn't go with any sexy times, which was okay with me. I wasn't looking forward to an incest scene.

Meanwhile, Stannis finds out that Davos has let Gendry go and orders his death. Davos shows him the letter from the wall, and the Red Woman declares that only Stannis can stop the battle about to take place in the north (naturally). Davos's life is spared and Stannis will answer the Wall's plea for help. (Total set up for next season.)

Source
Finally, all the slaves Dany set free in the city that surrendered come out and call her mother, demonstrating their loyalty. She now has an army and a dedicated people.

So, that was it for this season! Like I said, I'm sad they cut all our Arya/Gendry time and I think the finale could have been better (that there had been a cliff hanger) but overall I was okay with it. I thought they handled the story lines very well and am excited for season 4. (Again, almost a year away!)

So, what did everyone else think of the Game of Thrones finale?

5 comments :

  1. Well, I didn't read the post because I don't want to spoil it, even if I've read the four books. :)
    It just that when I see it, I want to enjoy it.

    I feel you. It was too soon to finish. :( They should make at least 12 episodes a season. 10 is just too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed, overall, by the finale. I really wanted that cliffhanger ending.

    And I want more episodes per season. 10 is definitely not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't a "gotta see what happens next!" finale, but it had some nice scenes. It was clearly a set-up episode for next season and as such didn't deliver much punch. Arya's scenes came closest because they were gut-wrenching (seeing her decapitated brother being mocked like that). I wish they'd had a two hour finale, maybe, to leave us on a stronger note. Still, love the series! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This most have been one of the best episodes ever. I don't even watch the show and heard about the wedding Liesel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be getting your castles confused, Liesel. Bran and Sam met in the Nightfort, not the Dreadfort. Theon, however, IS in the Dreadfort, and not at Winterfell.

    ReplyDelete