Monday, June 23, 2014

The Best Way to Get Your Writing/Editing/Important Tasks Done

Source
Happy Monday, Everyone! I hope you're all on track to have a great week!

One of they best books you could ever read to ensure your own success is Success Principles by Jack Canfield. I'm making my way slowly through it, and I found a particular suggestion that I took to heart. I've done posts before about how to be productive, and this goes hand in hand with that.

Mr. Canfield suggests keeping a "success journal." Basically, it's just something in which you write down the successes you had during your day.

In our society, we focus far too much on our failures. We think, "sure, I did x, y, and z, but I didn't get this other thing done." And we totally beat ourselves up for that one thing, without giving ourselves enough credit for the things we did get done. 

Our successes can be anything and everything we did right during the day. Did we wake up on time? Squeeze in a workout? Eat a healthy lunch? Did we get any reading, writing, or editing done? Did we spend quality time with the family, or do some cleaning we've been meaning to get around to for a while? All of these are successes.

So, find a journal or notebook, and right before you go to bed, write down everything you succeeded out during the day. You can be grateful for what you got done, and dwell on the positivity of your day, which will put you in a success mindset for tomorrow. You can also look at what you did and plan what you want to get done tomorrow. I've started doing this, and it's not only helped keep me on track for my tasks, but it puts me in a "go and do" mindset. I want to have things to write in my success journal, which motivates me to stay on task and get things done. 

It's such a small, simple thing--some people may even think it foolish--but give it a try. You might be shocked at what it does for your productivity.

Happy Monday, Everyone! Have a successful, productive week!

4 comments :

  1. I don't do it daily, but Father Dragon Al set up a special website for a group of us and I always list my accomplishments for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! Any kind of accountability can work wonders, but I find daily goals keep me more motivated than weekly ones. (I can definitely fall into the lazy day rut and not get anything done for days at a time. :D) Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  2. This sounds a lot like "Getting Things Done" which is what I use. I don't get everything done, but I try and get the most important ones. Good tip Liesel and I hope you have a marvelous morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely don't get everything done all the time, either. I tend to be overly ambitious and put down way too many things, but if I do this, I still get way more done than I would have otherwise. Thanks Maurice. Hope you had a great morning, too. :D

      Delete