Monday, June 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Classics of Today and Tomorrow!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Classics of Both Today and Tomorrow (All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

Top books that are already classics today:

5) Dracula by Bram Stoker -- Let's face it: Stoker's classic is the reason vampires so permeate our culture today. You'd think the original that started it all would be tired and dated by now, but it's truly not. If you've never read this classic novel, do it for Halloween this year. It'll totally creep you out!

4) Hamlet by William Shakespeare -- Arguably the greatest work of the greatest bard who ever lived. If you've never read it, you'll be amazed how many lines from this classic play still permeate our pop culture today.

3) The Once and Future King by T.H. White -- Like Shakespeare, White didn't create this classic story, but he wrote down the most common version that has survived and still informed all our ideas and opinions about King Arthur and his world today.

2) A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens -- I love Dickens, but this is probably my favorite story by him. So epic. Such great, wonder, tragic, moving historical fiction. You'll think about it for days after reading the final line, and will never forget how you first felt about it.

1) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad -- I know, I know. I gush about this one a lot on my various blogs and top ten lists, but Conrad was a genius. He lays out the best argument I've ever come across (I've never found it's equal) about why exactly, philosophically, evil is dangerous to the human race and the human spirit. It'll change the way you look at, you know, everything. 

Top books that will be the classics of tomorrow:

Arguing about whether to read what is popular or what is classic is silly because, as in every era that's come before ours, the popular books of today will be the classics of tomorrow.

5) The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare -- Worldwide Bestsellers. 'Nuff said.

4) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn -- Okay, I haven't read this, though it's on my list. But, I've heard a lot about it and the impact it's having on people. And it was the most reviewed book on Goodreads...uh, last year, I think. 

3) Twilight by Stephanie Meyer -- No matter what you think of the series, it's made such a huge impact on our culture and society, that it will probably be seen historically as the thing that changed the way we view vampires. It's totally a sociological thing, but this is exactly the kind of thing that's taught in schools to show how society was thinking during particular time periods.

2) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- A classic, YA dystopian that ought to be taught alongside The Giver and 1984. I think in a few years, once the novelty/blockbuster status wears off, it will be.

1) Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling -- Come on, does anyone really think our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren will not be reading Harry Potter in school?

What are your top ten picks for classic novels?

7 comments :

  1. I especially loved the classics of the tomorrow section. Thought I'm not the biggest fan of Twilight anymore (I used to love the series) I totally see it as a classic of future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same. Not my fave, but I totally see it being read for decades. Thanks Milka! Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  2. Interesting take on this week's TTT! Still have yet to get around to The Once and Future King and Heart of Darkness (might get around to his book The Secret Agent first!) though.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you should. I really loved the Secret Agent as well. But Heart of Darkness is more the classic and has a special place in my, er, heart. :D Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. I think I once read somewhere that Hamlet is the most quoted piece of literature in the world, though I have to admit I'm really not a fan of it - I had to study it that many times throughout school and uni that now I can't stand it. I do love Macbeth, though. :D Harry Potter's pretty much already a classic, isn't it? I think people are going to be reading those books for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love all of Shakespeare--Hamlet, Lear, all the histories. So much good stuff there. And I agree: HP is already a classic. Thanks for stopping by, Jess. Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete