Monday, June 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Cover Trends

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Book Cover Trends I Like/ Dislike (All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

I'm really not overly critical of book covers, so it this was hard for me. I didn't come up with very many.

I Like:

  • Vibrant colors in general. Eye-catching covers are the best.


Source

  • Really strange, exotic images. Again, they fire up the imagination and make me want to read the book. 





I Dislike:


  • I don't like the recent trend of putting biblical-type pictures on classic novels. Just because they're old and classic doesn't mean we need pictures reminiscent of Roman Catholic interpretations put on them. Especially when it says absolutely nothing about the actual story. In the examples below, I suppose you could link the pictures to the stories, but I'd never look at that picture and think, "Frankenstein!" or "The Scarlet Letter." More like Michelangelo and the Madonna. Come on, people, let's be a little more relevant, shall we?




















  • My big one is simply covers that don't tell us anything at all about the story. You this a lot with really complicated plots. It's like there's so much to choose from that they don't know where to start, and just do nothing. The original covers of A Song of Ice and Fire are this way. Even the original Twilight covers felt this way to me. They weren't bad in and of themselves, but unless you already knew what they were about (which everyone does now) there was nothing about them that screamed vampire, teen love story, or anything in between.




















What cover trends do you like or dislike?

10 comments :

  1. I really enjoy vibrant covers. I think they immediately catch my eye and make me interested in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I never understood how Twilight's covers tied into the story. And the classic covers above always nagged at me too! I had the Count of Monte Cristo initially like that but then I upgraded to the beautiful B&N edition!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got to upgrade. I totally need to. Thanks Jessica! :D Have a great day, too!

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with you on the last one! (And agree with the other style you dislike.) I don't like simple covers. One image, one color - says nothing about the story. Give me a cover with amazing artwork depicting a scene in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Alex! Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's books always do a great job of that. George Martin, not so much. :D Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I recognize the photo for Some Quiet Place, it's by Brooke Shaden. She has done some amazing photography if you're interested in looking at some of her work. Great list this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, and for stopping by! Have a great week! :D

      Delete
  5. Haha, I so agree about all of these! The Song of Ice and Fire covers drive me bonkers and I refuse to have them on my bookshelf ever D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'll admit I do have them on my shelves, but I glare at them every time I notice them. :D Thanks Anya!

      Delete