Monday, March 31, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Red-Letter Books/Authors on my Reading Journey

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 "Gateway" Books/Authors in my Reading Journey(All book covers courtesy of Goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)


10. The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander -- I went to bed as a child listening to stories of Frodo and the One ring, but The Black Cauldron was the first fantasy book I picked up on my own and made me realize how much my heart was in this genre.


Source
9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- This book made me understand how beautiful and powerful story-telling can be. It was one of the first books that made me recognize themes and literary devices for what they were and want to learn how to use them myself.


Source

8. The Once and Future King by T.H. White -- One of the first books that truly made my heart ache.


7. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry -- Technically speaking, I don't like contemporary romances, especially of the high school variety. They just aren't my thing. That said, I'll probably read everything Katie McGarry writes. Ever.


6. Partials by Dan Wells -- This is a dystopian novel by an author who shares my religion and home state, and one of his main character's names is Marcus (also true of my Interchron series.) It sort of freaked me out. But it also reminded me of why I love great dystopians!


Source
5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- The great thing about this series (one of many) is the rebellion and revolution it sparks in readers. A great example of how to make readers passionate about a story and its characters. 



Source
4. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad -- One of my favorites because it so well illustrates characters arcs, and the complexities of good vs. evil which is so prevalent--I'd argue essential--in all literature.


3. The A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin -- I would've loved it anyway because the characters are so unique and it's excellent high fantasy, but this is the series that kicked me in the butt and made me actually start writing about dragons.


Source
2. The Road by Cormac McCarthy -- McCarthy is a writer's writer. While his work doesn't always translate well onto the big screen, I learn so much from him every time I read one of his books. This one is a pulitzer prize winner, and rightly so. It was so beautiful it moved me to tears.


Source
1. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan -- I'm a broken record on this one, I know, but this series has influenced me in too many ways to count or lay out in just a line or two. :D

What gateway books/authors have been important in your reading journey?

17 comments :

  1. Great list! I really want to read Lloyd Alexander again. My mom read us those books out loud as a kid but I don't think I appreciated them. - Alison from Hardcovers&Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I read them as well. I wouldn't mind a re-read. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. Awesome list! I've read a few of these, and I just finished studying Heart of Darkness for class, definitely think what you've written is true.

    Ely @ A Book So Fathomless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad. Most people hate Heart of Darkness. Great to find a kindred spirit! :D

      Delete
  3. I love the George R.R. Martin books. I think it's great that they've inspired you to write about dragons. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love them too. Can't wait for The Winds of Winter next year! :D

      Delete
    2. I love The A Song of Fire and Ice series. My husband is partial to Martin's Wild Card series.

      I tried to read T.H. White a few times and could never get into it. I'll stick with the movie, The Mighty, based on Rodman Philbrick's Freak the Mighty, for my King Arthur fix.

      Delete
  4. I like how you've listed individual books instead of authors, although I think I would have found it impossible to narrow down to ten!! Love the ones on your list that I've read. I just got The Once and Future King from the library, and you're review makes me anxious to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! One of my all-time faves. I'd really like to read it again sometime this year. :D

      Delete
    2. "your" review. Sorry! Butterfingers :-/ I just started reading the book last night! :)

      Delete
  5. Great list! Lots of new to me ones here! Seeing a lot of Hunger Games today though!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I heard of Lloyd Alexander but I never read any of his books. I have yet to read The Once and Future King...one of these days xD

    Great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh both are great! Lloyd Alexander is kind of a MG/YA high fantasy. The Once and Future King is one that everyone should read once in their lifetimes! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  7. Some new books to me on your list, which I really appreciate. To Kill a Mockingbird was so close to being on my list but didn't make it, so I'm happy to see some love for it here. The Hunger Games is on my list as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love both of those! Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  8. Gosh... I'd forgotten all about the Lloyd Alexander books! I read and enjoyed a number of those when I was younger. I think I'd already been introduced to fantasy at that point, and finding those books just fueled the love of the genre.

    ReplyDelete