Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Divergent: Movie Review

Source
I got to go see the Divergent film over the weekend! Yea! First film I've seen in weeks and weeks, and it was totally worth it!

Plot: If you want to know the plot of the film, read the plot of the book. They're exactly the same. There's always some worry when a great book gets made into a film that Hollywood will totally slaughter it. Of course it's exciting to see your favorite characters and worlds on the big screen, but what if the film is terrible? And then all those who see it but have never read the book believe the book was also terrible? Ugh. Don't they know what they do to us? 

Luckily, that was not the case here. Not only did the film stick pretty closely to the plot of the book, but they did a spectacular job of bringing it all together and making it jump off the screen!

Characters: I was always okay with Shailene Woodley as Tris, even if her coloring isn't quite right. I really wasn't sure about Theo James as Four. He's not at all how I pictured Four to be, and the only thing I knew the actor from was a small (1 episode) stint on Downton Abbey, where he played a foreign man-whore who died in our leading lady's bed after seducing her in a most un-romantic fashion. Didn't exactly endear him to me for the romantic hero, you know? Luckily, he did a terrific job. I really liked him in the role and am totally won over as to this guy's star power.

Others, including Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet, Jai Courtney and Tony Goldwin, all played their parts well and I thought the film was well-cast overall.

Source
What's different: There were only two major differences that jumped out at me. (And keep in mind I read the book over a year ago, so I've likely forgotten a lot of the details.) 

1) Tris's relationship with her father was better. She had an okay relationship with him in the book, but not a close one. He was kind of cold and distant, and was downright livid after what happened at the choosing ceremony. In the film, you have more sympathy for him because he came across as a loving father who was truly heartbroken after Tris and Caleb's choices. 

2) The Al story wasn't nearly as prominent. It was one aspect of the book I truly didn't like because it was just so dang depressing! It was much more minor in the film, which made it much less tragic.

What's the same: Pretty much everything else. The Choosing ceremony, Dauntless jumping from trains, Tris and her first trampoline experience, the Ferris Wheel scene, her romance with Four, and the height of the action where Jeanine makes her move. All of it was fantastic. High action, high adrenaline. Makes you really want to rebel against an oppressive regime after watching it. (Which is why I love dystopians! :D)

Overall: Totally loved it! They did an excellent job. Anyone who loved the books will likely love the movie. I'm so stoked that it did well at the box office. That means we can look forward to hearing about the commencement of the Insurgent film sometime soon.

Did anyone else get to see Divergent? What did you think of it?

6 comments :

  1. I saw the movie the night it came out and loved it!!! I read a review this past week about the movie, and the person hated it; didn't like the acting and said it was too different. But, like you, I read the book over a year ago, and so to me, the movie was amazing! Had I read it closer to it coming out, I may have remembered a few more things that were different, but I try not to compare movies and books too much because otherwise I'll be disappointed as the book is almost always better. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I have a bad habit of reading books right before their movies come out. It's only because I want to read the book before seeing the film, but if I haven't read it yet, I do it RIGHT before the movie. I agree with you: it's much better to give it some distance so the differences aren't so glaring. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. I really liked the movie! It wasn't the best adaptation in the world, but it wasn't the worst so I felt like it already one in that category. I was hesitant about Theo James before I saw the movie but honestly, I felt like he was the star. I think Shailene was great in it too, but Theo. I had some issues with it but I can't wait to see Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it overall. Yeah, I'm excited to see what they do with Insurgent, too. As long as Theo's in it, I think it'll be all right. :D

      Delete
  3. All right! I've been waiting for the review since you first started talking about the books! Glad it didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't at all! Phew. Thank goodness. :D Thanks Maurice!

      Delete