Monday, March 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Genre Favorites

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 All Time Favorite Series in the Paranormal Genre

I've done plenty of lists for high fantasy and dystopian, so I thought I'd go with something I read a bit less. I could only think of 9. (Grrrh!) In no particular order:


9. Anna Dressed in Blood/ Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake -- Amazing books. Couldn't put them down. Highly recommended! 

Source
8. Masque of the Red Death/ Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin -- Loved both of these, not least because they played on Edgar Allan Poe stories. Now she's got one on the horizon based on The Fall of the House of Usher (The Fall). Totally reading that when it drops!

Source
7. Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent -- Only a little more than half way through this series, but loving it.

Source
6. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia -- Confession: I've only read book 1, and I've heard that this series dries out a bit as it goes along. But I really loved book 1 and can't wait to get to the others, which are all chillin' on my kindle. :D

Source
5. The Shades of London by Maureen Johnson -- I've only read the first one of these, too, but I totally loved it. The writing was wicked delightful--couldn't stop laughing--and the plot twists were both creepy and clever. What's not to like?

All mine!
4. Dimensions in Death series by The Brothers Washburn -- Mojave Green isn't out yet, but Pitch Green was one of the best YA horrors I've ever read (even if it's not a genre I read tons of) and I did a little dance when I saw that Cal and Camm had a second book on the horizon.

All mine, too! :D
3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer -- I know I know, you're considering throwing tomatoes, but I genuinely enjoyed the Twilight series when I first read through it. Any series I have a hard time putting down is a success in my mind. 

Source
2. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare -- Just read these recently, loved book 5, and can't wait for book 6 to hit the airwaves. I also really want to pick up the Clockwork books, though I'm not sure when exactly that'll happen. :/

Source
1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor -- Probably my favorite paranormal series right now. Can't WAIT for book 3. 

Source
What are your favorite paranormal series?

10 comments :

  1. I don't really read many paranormal books, but I enjoyed reading Beautiful Creatures. Most of the ones on your list I haven't read yet. Anyway, happy reading! :D
    Top 10 Favorite Contemporary Romance Novels
    Meet My Co-Blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love all those gorgeous covers. I can't wait for City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. I am so ready to read the ending to her Mortal Instruments series. And whatever people may say about the Twilight series, it will still have a special place in my bookshelf, well except New Moon for obvious reasons, i.e. Team Edward LOL :)

    Thanks for sharing. Here's my TTT picks :)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh nice! Love # 9 ,7 & 5 too!! Great picks!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't really read many of these - Twilight Saga I used to love, but I guess I kind of grew out of it. I've read Beautiful Darkness, but never really got fully into it. I also have the first four books by Cassandra Clare, but so far I've read only the first one. I've recently been really bad with keeping up with series for some reason since it seems like every single YA book coming out these days is a series of some sort :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I've occasionally poked into the paranormal genre (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files I think is my favourite, even though I've only read one of his books so far!) but most of the titles you mentioned here on your list are familiar to me :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. An intriguing list. I had no idea there were more "Mortal Instruments" books than "Twilight."

    ReplyDelete
  7. the only book i read in your list is anna dressed in blood (which i LOVED). your list reminds me that i need to read more paranormals.

    my TTT

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's really funny that everyone with Twilight on their lists seems to feel a need to apologize for it! :) We may all be ashamed, but there sure are a lot of us. I read Anna Dressed in Blood -- sounds like you thought the sequel was good too. I see a few here I should probably check out. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice list! I´ve read and loved Daughter of Smoke and Bones and Soul Screamers series.
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse books. Campy and silly, sure, but so much fun!

    ReplyDelete