Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday--Favorite Authors


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week's question: Top Ten Favorite Authors in X Genre

I'll be doing my top ten favorite authors in the Fantasy/Scifi Genre. I'll give you a minute to get over your utter shock.

10. Orson Scott Card

goodreads.com
Photo Credit:
hacktrack.com

9. Robert Heinlein

Photo Credit: heinleinia.com

youritlist.com

8. J.K. Rowling

Photo Credit: englishexercises.org
















therobotspajamas.com

7. Isaac Asimov

Photo Credit: isaac-asimov.com
















fivejs.com

6. C.S. Lewis

Photo Credit: reprog.files.wordpress.com














twilightswarden.wordpress.com

5. J.R.R. Tolkien

Photo Credit: nndb.com
















en.widipedia.com

4. Terry Goodkind

Photo Credit: bookreporter.com
















3. Brandon Sanderson

Photo Credit: aidanmoher.com
















blog.patrickrothfuss.com

2. George R.R. Martin

Photo Credit: collider.com














en.wikipedia.com

1. Robert Jordan

Photo Credit: aitherontd.blogspot.com


















What about you? What are YOUR top ten favorite authors?




Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Don't know what this is? Click here.

Photo Credit:
celebritywonder.ugo.com
Last week's RMQ was: "Last week we were all strangers, but we're all here, now...but if we can't live together, we're gonna die alone." This was a well-known, oft-repeated like from the TV show, Lost. It was said by Jack Shepherd, played by Matthew Fox. (Aptly named. Just sayin.')

A few people got this one, but Kat of A Myriad of Books was first. Great job, Kat! :D




Today's RMQ is:


"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a stupid lamb."
"What a sick, masochistic lion."

Okay, one of the girls better get this one! I left out names because that would make it too obvious, but this is two people. Lines 1 and 3 said by the first person. Line 2 said by the second. So, five points possible, here. One  for each of two characters and actors, and then the name of the film/book. (That's a hint, by the way.)  Good luck! :D


Reminder: JFP'S CREATIVE FRIGHTING CONTEST IS IN FULL SWING! GO TO THIS WEBSITE, READ SOME AWESOME SHORT STORIES, AND VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE! I HAVE ONE IN THE RUNNING! IF YOU LIKE THEM, PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS! THERE ARE PRIZES FOR RANDOM VOTERS! THANKS!











37 comments :

  1. Loved, loved the Hobbit! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I totally want to re-read it before film comes out. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great list. I can't wait for the last Wheel of Time book. It's going to be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so excited! I found out I won't be working by then. Is it wrong that I'm excited about getting laid off just so I can lay around and read the final WoT book cover to cover? hehe. :D Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. Lewis and Heinlein make my list!
    And you got me on the movie quote today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of excited that I stumped you on the quote, but actually not very surprised. It's a very popular but very girly movie. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh this is the first sci-fi list I've seen so far - yay! I own a lot of Heinlein and Asimov but haven't read either of them - the shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are spectacular. I haven't read all of their works, but I want to. I dearly wish Asimov had written some more. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. So, I'm not a fantasy reader...the ones I've read = Rowling, Tolkien, Lewis...hehe. Although Martin is on my TBR ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I've not read all of these, but I ADORE the ones I have read! I'll have to check out the others!

    Check out my Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors HERE and also my FANTASTIC giveaway of a SIGNED copy Lauren Oliver's new book, THE SPINDLERS, HERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out yours too! :D

      Delete
  7. Love your list! Rowling, Lewis, Tolkien are so amazing!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVING this list! JKR, Brandon Sanderson, JRR Tolkien and C.S. Lewis make for an epic list any day in my book! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    Here's my TTT post

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your list too! :D

      Delete
  9. I need to try out some more Fantasy. Definitely my weakest genre - pretty much just Harry Potter for me. I should give Lord of the Rings a try (can you believe I haven't even seen the movie?

    DO I just do the movie quote thing in the comments? It's Twilight. First line Edward (Robert Pattinson), then Bella (Kristen Stewart), then Edward again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOTR is great! You should definitely read it! And congrats! You're the first to guess the RMQ and you're correct! Yeah! (Yeah you just do it in the comments. :D) I update the post linked to the "click here" under the RMQ heading once a week with who's won and how many points everyone has, so watch for that! Congrats and thanks so much for participating! :D

      Delete
  10. Awesome list. I've read (& loved) books by Rowlings, Goodkind & martin. I have books by some of the other authors you mentioned on my reading list too.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! Hard not to love Isaac Asimov! If I did a scifi list he would be high up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to check out George R.R. Martin's books sometime. I haven't watched Game of Thrones because I'd rather read the books first. Glad to see they made your list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm kind of ashamed to admit I've actually read NONE of the books on your list, aside from Ender's Game.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have got to read Game of Thrones! It has been in my TBR pile for ages. The show is just so good that I haven't picked up the books yet...I should, I really should. Great list! Have you ever read Dune by Frank Herbert. I hear that is the scifi books of all scifi books!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ~Nikki (Imaginative Adventure)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm probably one of the last fans of the old school sic fi authors like Heinlein and Bradbury and Harlan Ellison and Philip K. Dick. Love those old stories!

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some very amazing authors. I have to look a few up though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not familiar with all of these authors, but love 2, 5, 6, and 8!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought the Game of Thrones boxset ages ago and haven't started them yet! I really just need to stop thinking about how many thousands of pages there are and just jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've got some big names on this list--thanks for sharing!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely FANTAStic! See what I there? The fantasy part, with no Y - FANTASTIC? No? Okay never mind, I suck at these jokes. :D

    *cringe* I, uh... haven't... uhm... read Harry Potter, or Game of Thrones, or even the Lord of the Rings... go ahead, kill me now! I don't deserve to live! Okay... sorry about that. I really should get to those books soon.

    Great list! Thanks for checking out my top ten.

    Janus @ The Blair Book Project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Sword of Truth series. I haven't gotten to the last book yet but I've read all the others. I'll have to write down some of the other authors to try.

    danni0113@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Harry Potter & Tolkein. Yesyesyes. :) I really ought to start reading George RR Martin since my husband bought all the ebooks! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice Edward and Bella quote, a la Twilight. ;)

    Great list! I'm ashamed to say that I have not read many of these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ENDER'S GAME!!! I love that novel. I can't believe I forgot all about it!! These are some great choices!

    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't believe I forgot C.S. Lewis! What's wrong with me? Of course, J.K. Rowling is amazing. <3 I definitely have to read Ender's Game! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Very classy sci fi/fantasy list =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a great list. J.K. Rowling and C.S. Lewis. And my friend keeps bugging me to read Brandon Sanderson, so I really need to get around to reading one of his books. I think I'm going to pick up Elantris first.

    Thank you for continually stopping by my blog, I really haven't been ignoring your comments they just kept going to spam box. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. J.K. Rowling is on my list as well, but you already know that since you commented there. Most of the authors on your list I haven't read yet, but I am planning on reading them, like: George R.R. Martin's books.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, sorry for the very late reply.


    Nazish @ Nazish Reads

    ReplyDelete