Monday, October 22, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday--Books for Halloween! :D


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week: 

Top Ten Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit!

Yea! I <3 Halloween!


goodreads.com
1) Dracula by Bram Stoker


Still the cold standard for vampire stories! (No pun intended! :D)







goodreads.com
2) Frankenstein by Mary Shelly



A bit harder to read but worth the effort!







3) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Lewis Stevenson



Surprisingly easy to read for a classic, but no less creepy for it!






goodreads.com
4) Anything by Edgar Allen Poe! I particularly recommend:
 
 a) Berenice


All kinds of crazy fun!




goodreads.com
5) Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper--Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell



This one's twisted in creepy and reads like an episode of CSI, but it's also by far the most comprehensive study of the ripper crimes, the psychology of the killer, and probably the most educated hypothesis of who he actually was. A must read for anyone interested in mystery, crime drama or true crime! 



goodreads.com
6) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake




Creepy, gory, awesome ghost story!





goodreads.com
7) It by Stephen King



Cold standard in evil clowns! Not a story you'll soon forget! :D






goodreads.com
8) Wuthering Heights



This one isn't so much for me. Love the story but not so much a Halloween read. My sister reads this every year in October, though, and insists the dark imagery of the moors puts her in a Halloween mood. To each her own!




goodreads.com

9) It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!



Along with this, any kiddie-type book like Sesame Street, etc. always puts me in a fun, Halloween spirit!



Photo Credit:
mrpresidentandthefirstlady.blogspot.com
10) Harry Potter (any).

This may be a bit of a cop-out, but because each book spans one school year, she always makes a big deal about the holidays, and whenever I read about them, I feel like celebrating that holiday.  Hogwarts with its pumpkin juice and pastries always just feels like Halloween. And something big always seems to happen to Harry on Halloween as well. (In Book 1 the troll got in, etc.) 



Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Don't know what this is? Click here.

imdb.com


Last week's RMQ was "Cheesy me no likey." This was said by David Spade playing Emperor Kuzco in The Emperor's New Groove. Alex Cavanaugh guessed it! Great job, Alex. If you haven't see this one, you HAVE to! This is one of those films like The Princess Bride where pretty much every line in the movie is all kinds of quotable! Plus it's family friendly! Go find a copy and have a LOL evening! :D



Today's RMQ:

"Do you want to be a cop or do you want to appear to be a cop?"

One point for film, one for character, one for actor. HINT: It might help if you try to hear this one in a thick Bostonian accent. The kind that are often used in the Ben Affleck/Matt Damon R-Rated flicks. Just sayin.' ;D Good luck! 

26 comments :

  1. I still have not read Anna Dressed in Blood! I know. *looks down in shame* xD Great list. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Dressed in Blood sounds super good. I really want to read it. :)

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you put HP on your list! Halloween isn't a big thing here in The Netherlands and every time I read Harry Potter I get so jealous! It's the best way to get in the spirit!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow the Netherlands! I'd love to hear some of your Halloween traditions! It's such a big deal here in Utah! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. I thought about putting HP too :) I love reading about Halloween and Christmas in them!
    I have Anna Dressed in Blood on my list too, but I haven't read it yet!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie Brown...LOVE it!!
    Feel free to check out mine...
    http://asoutherngirlsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesdayhalloween-spirit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  6. I think it was the Departed, but that's all I know today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Departed it is! Very good! :D

      Delete
  7. Harry Potter is definitely good for Halloween, and just for cosy autumn evenings in general! Same for Wuthering Heights, it's certainly dark and windswept enough for a wintery re-read, although I might have to wait a few more years before I'm up to the challenge again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. If you want something easier, try staring at Ralph Fiennes in the English film version. It definitely takes less brain power. :D Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  8. I think the only book I have read out of this list is Anna Dressed in Blood! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna's so great! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  9. Great list! I totally forgot about The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I definitely agree with you about it =)

    - Li @ rulethewaves.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great selection! I never would've thought of Wuthering Heights but now that you mention it..I can see it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, one thing I can say is that I have read everything on your list. Do I win a $5,000 gift card to whatever hotel/resort I choose? lol

    Definitely a good selection of books there. One of my friends is the girlfriend of Cornwell. Oh, the things I have heard! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could give you a $5,000 gift card! Alas, my novel has yet to debut! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  12. I'm reading Anna Dressed in Blood right now! And I'm dying to break out some Poe. I actually went to a lecture last night on Poe's influence on detective stories. It was so interesting and now all I want to do is read Poe. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love Poe! Thanks for visiting! :D

      Delete