Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday--Awesome Heroines!

Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday + RMQ (below)


brokeandbookish.blogspot.com
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week's question: Top Ten Kick-Ass Heroines!




en.wikipedia.org
10. Hermione of Harry Potter



Her logic and good sense save Harry many times over. Who doesn't love her?



forum.narniaweb.com
9. Lucy Pevensie of The Chronicles of Narnia

She may be sweet, but her sweetness and child-like faith saves her siblings time and time again. Along with, you know, entire worlds.

theworldofcinemaandfantasy.blgospot.com

8. Arwen of Lord of the Rings

She may not have had many lines in the books, but her role in the story was still pivotal. She did save Frodo from the wraiths and got to wash them away! Who gets to boast that?



thebooksmugglers.com
7. Ismae of Grave Mercy


Assassin nun at court. Need I say more?







goodreads.com

6. Kahlan Amnell of Sword of Truth

She has girl powers that allow her to control men with a single touch. She's decent enough not to take advantage, but confident enough not to shy away when someone else does.




thehungergames.wikia.com
5. Katniss Everdeen of The Hunger Games

Hunter, independent, survivor of the Hunger Games, friends with Liam Hemsworth--er, Gayle. Any questions?



wot.wikia.com
4. Egwene al'Vere of Wheel of Time

Strong in the One Power, navigates the World of Dream, underminds corrupt Amyrlin Elaida (who, just trust me on this, someone needs to b**tch-slap) and blows entire to'rakens out of the sky. Trust me, you want to be this woman's friend.


encyclopaedia-wot.org
3. Nynaeve al'Meara of Wheel of Time

One of the strongest in the One Power in thousands of years, massively talented Healer, won the heart of the uncrowned king of Malkier, and has personal captured (and kicked tail of) several of the Forsaken. Again, be her friend, not her enemy.



taaz.com
2. Daenerys Targaryen of A Song of Fire and Ice

Can walk through fire without being burnt, has three growing dragons at her beck and call, and was married to a brutal Kahl. Trust me, she's tough.




shadowness.com
1. Arya Stark of A Song of Fire and Ice
Smarter as a teenager than most adults are, has outlived a lot of her family, escaped from a powerful ruling family, knows how to use a sword, outsmarts lords and kings regularly, befriended a sorcerer assassin, and has traveled across a lot o the seven kingdoms as well as across the Narrow Sea. Yeah, he's pretty awesome!

How about you? Who are your Top Ten Kick-A** Heroines?

(See my Top Ten Non-Fantasy picks on my other blog.)


Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Don't know what this is? Click here.

rowthree.com
Last week's RMQ was, "And you think if you save poor Catherine, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if Catherine lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the lambs."

This was said by Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. Brandyn of Going for Goldilocks guessed this one. Great job, Brandyn! Three points to you! :D



Today's RMQ is:


"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"


One point for film, one for actor, one for character. Good luck!


Don't forget to enter my giveaway if you haven't yet. Happy Tuesday! :D

23 comments :

  1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Said by the Frenchmen to King Arthur and his knights.
    Eowyn would be my favorite in LOTR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Forgot about her. Totally should have included her on the list! She gets more actual battle time than Arwen does! :D And correct about the movie reference. Thanks Alex! :D

      Delete
  2. Good choices from the Game of Thrones. I kind of wish I hadn't read your list though, you have a lot of spoilers in your descriptions that I didn't yet know about from that book, especially about Dany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry about that! Way better stuff happens later on that I didn't mention, though. That's just book 1! Keep reading! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That's true re: Arwen. She may not have been sword-wielding as Eowyn was (though I chose Eowyn over Arwen for my list this week...could've gone with Galadriel though...too many choices! lol) but her strength was a different kind. To choose a mortal death over the gift of the Eldar? That's pretty tough too (the line about her last meeting with her father destroys me every single time ;_;)

    Whoo, glad to see I'm not the only one who included Kahlan on my list this week!

    Here's my TTT for this week =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! After that part with Arwen's father, I thought it was so beautiful I tried to find a way to say it to my own dad, to which he promptly asked me what I was smoking. :D And Kahlan totally kicks butt! :D Thansk for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. Love that you put Arwen on your list! I doubted between her and Eowyn, and went for Eowyn in the end. Mostly because I already choose for Arwen in an earlier TTT :P Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's true that Eowyn gets more sword/battle time, so I totally get it, but Arwen faced down the Ring Wraiths and, you know, she's an elf, so...:D Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  5. Hermione will always be my favorite, and Katniss is really amazing too. I haven't read Song of Fire and Ice yet, but it seems to feature quite prominently today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about Arwen! She is amazing! I've not read the Game of Thrones series yet, but after reading this I think I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy is such a great character! i thought about including her! Great picks :)

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list- Arya's my favorite GOT character! I wanted to put Ismea on my list...but it was too long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for Hermione! I haven't read any of the Song of Fire & Ice books, but I adore Arya in the show. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy! I can’t believe I forgot her! You picked some great ones. I love Arwen too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Danaerys! Great list :D And thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your choices on this list! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read Grave Mercy SO bad. It sounds so good.

    Thanks for stopping by LIO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay Nynaeve! I was thinking about putting one of the women from The Wheel of Time series, but I just couldn't decide on one...there's Faile, and Egwene, and Elayne and Min and and and and!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! They're all great, but Nynaeve has always been my fave. So glad to find other WOT fans! :D

      Delete
  15. You just got to love Hermione :D

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katniss is definitely kick ass! And Hermione, too, in her own way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the images you have accompanying your list.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete