Thursday, April 30, 2015

Follow Friday: Reading/Blogging Slumps

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!



How do you cure a book hangover/blogging slump/reading slump? - Suggested by Take Me Away...

I usually try to do something to get my creative juices flowing. Usually that means watching a favorite show that inspires me, maybe re-reading a favorite part of a book that gets my imagination fired up, listening to music to unwind and reset, etc.

I also use Pinterest.com. I'm an avid pinner and often the images I pin can help get me out of a rut. I have boards for Settings, Scifi and Fantasy, Character Archetypes, Dragons, Horror, and more. Sometimes just searching randomly through a subject that interests me, like history, can get my creative juices flowing as well. 

P.S. Before you go, check out my newest release, The Botanist. It's finally out and my launch party is tomorrow. Wish me luck! 

In the heat of the desert, Detective Cody Oliver inadvertently stumbles upon a strange garden adorned with exotic flowers. Upon closer inspection, he finds the garden is but a cover for the scores of bodies buried below. Soon, the small town of Mt. Dessicate plunges into chaos as journalists, reporters, and cameramen from across the nation descend upon the tiny, desert town to get a piece of the action.

Along with the media, a mysterious woman appears. She may be the only person who has come face to face with the killer, dubbed the Botanist, and lived to tell the tale. If Cody can't piece together a timeline of the land the crime scene is located on, decipher how the woman's mysterious past is connected to the killer, and bring the Botanist to justice, he may lose the people he values most.
 




What do you think of The Botanist's cover? How do you pull yourself out of a reading/writing/blogging slump?

50 comments :

  1. OOh that's an interesting technique! Haven't seen that yet today! I'm not on pinterest myself. Guess I should look into that! LOL!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pinterest. The only problem is that it can definitely prove a distraction from reading. :D

      Delete
  2. Pinterest is great for improving creativity! I've found so many cool ideas on there :)
    Good luck with your book!

    Following via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually take at least one pinterest break per day. Good luck with your book, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Often several! :D No problem, Annette! And thank you too! :D

      Delete
  4. I have never used Pinterest to spark my reading! Great idea :) thanks for visiting my blog! Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  5. I would have never thought about Pinterest. Good idea!

    The cover for your new book is pretty sweet! Thanks for checking out my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No problem. Have a wonderful weekend! :D

      Delete
  6. Your pinterest boards sound awesome! What an interesting way to get out of a slump! Happy Friday!! :D

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  7. That's a cool idea, I'll have to give it a try the next time I'm experiencing a slump, but hopefully that's a ways down the road lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, hopefully you won't need it for a really long time. Have a wonderful weekend! :D

      Delete
  8. Oooh, Pinterest is a good way to get your mind off of things. I think I'll go there right now.

    Old Follower

    Kat @ Readiculous Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Unfortunately it's also a great way to waste time. :/ Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of using that technique before. I'll have to try that!

    Shannon @ The Tale Temptress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Shannon. Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  10. I love Pintrest! Good idea!

    Link to my FF:
    http://pipersbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/05/follow-feature-4.html

    New follower via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piper! Have an amazing weekend! :D

      Delete
  11. I need to start using pinterest more but I always forget about it...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could forget. I waste entirely too much time on there! :D Thanks Stormi! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. I definitely need to get started on using pintrest!:) Thanks for stopping by my blog today (:

    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! But I warn you, it's addicting. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  13. Music! Of course! How could I forget? LOL!

    New Bloglovin' follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music definitely helps me relax, and that sometimes gets me out of a slump. Sometimes. :D Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. Ooh that sounds pretty cool! I think I'll make a Pinterest account! As for the rereading a favorite series, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the new tips!

    Betsy @ I Sold My Soul For Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thanks for dropping by, Betsy. Let me know if you start the Pinterest account. I'll follow you! :D

      Delete
  15. That cover is amazing btw. And a great technique about the slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks. Yeah I love my publisher's art dept. They never disappoint. Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend! :D

      Delete
  16. My FF: http://bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/05/feature-follow-11-my-ways-to-get-over.html

    Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for stopping by, Aditi! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  17. Such a good idea! I haven't really used Pinterest much, but I should. I bet it's really inspiring. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. Hope it inspires you too! Have a wonderful weekend! :D

      Delete
  18. I've never thought of using Pinterest as a way out of a slump, but to be honest I mainly pin Loki and Hiddleston related things...
    Thanks for stopping by! :)
    New Bloglovin and Pinterest follower

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that. Gotta love Loki/Hiddleston! Thanks for following, Alexandra! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  19. It's a great idea to use Pinterest in that way, it was made for thing like that!

    My FFF  - Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have too much fun. Thanks Thea. Happy Saturday! :D

      Delete
  20. Congrats on your book!! Great points for writers. I keep a collection of pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hon! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  21. Using pinterest is a good way to go!!! I don't do it as often as I would like, I tend to get too addicted to it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely addicting. I can definitely waste time on there when I should be writing and/or reading. :D Whatcha gonna do? :D Have a great weekend, Renee!

      Delete
  22. Great suggestions!
    Thanks for visiting and following!
    I've followed you back on both pinterest and Bloglovin'
    Lauren @ myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks Lauren! Have a fantastic weekend!

      Delete
  23. I try non-reading activities, too! Thanks for following me, I followed back on Bloglovin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your tips. I might try that out, especially the Pinterest one. :) Oh, and The Botanist sounds intriguing. :)

    New follower via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tips. I do like the Pinterest idea, as there is so much inspiration on that site.
    New google+ follower.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon. I agree. So much pinspiration! :D I added you back on Google +. Have a great week!

      Delete