Saturday, April 11, 2015

A to Z Challenge: J is for Just Prioritize!

Source
Welcome to April. With its customary showers comes the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For those who are unfamiliar with it:
The brainchild of Arlee Bird, at Tossing it Out, the A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on. You can use a theme for the month or go random – just as long as it matches the letter of the alphabet for the day. (Source) 
The A to Z Challenge is a great way to get into the blogging habit and make new friends. For more details and its history, go HERE 

My theme this year is EDITING

I'll be posting practical advice for editing any story, novel, or other piece of writing. Editing is something most authors struggle with, and after years of doing my own as well as that of others, I have a pretty good eye for what needs work. I'll be doing short posts on editing topics and (hopefully) dispensing simple, valuable advice to help everyone out there self-edit.

J is for Just Prioritize!

Yes I'm totally playing with the letter J because I couldn't think of something about editing that begins with J. 

We all know we have to make time to write. Excuses are great--legit even. But they're still excuses. If we really want to be anything--writers, bloggers, novelists, or anything else--we have to make it a priority.

This is especially true of me with editing. I find it easier to write rough drafts than to edit them. I really have to put my mind to editing to get it done. I don't know why it's so hard for me, but because it's important to me, I figure it out. Eventually.

Below is one of my favorite videos EVER about writing. It starts out talking about "the greats" among writers. Then there's a sports pep-talk, followed by a bit that shows how even the greats had to put in the time and effort to get where they are. I watch this video all the time. It's so inspiring!



How do you prioritize your writing?

4 comments :

  1. I have no idea how to prioritize...I put off putting out my novel for a year because I didn't know what we were going to name our daughter and I didn't want her to have the same first name as one of the characters in the book. Of course, that might have just been an excuse to procrastinate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I hear ya. I put off editing until it's pretty much the worst chore in the entire world!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy editing, so that's not a problem. It's the first draft that gets me. So when I am writing, it's three hours a night no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely spend that long writing the first draft, but the real question for me is how much I get done in that time frame. If I've planned well enough, I can pound out a lot of pages in three hours. If not, I'll be lucky to do 500 words. :D

      Delete