Thursday, April 30, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Z is for Zen

Check out my next blog tour stop for The Botanist. It's a post on Writing the Detective Novel over at my good friend and fellow's author's website, Ann Marie Meyers.

Source
Welcome to April. With its customary showers comes the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For those who are unfamiliar with it:
The brainchild of Arlee Bird, at Tossing it Out, the A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on. You can use a theme for the month or go random – just as long as it matches the letter of the alphabet for the day. (Source) 
The A to Z Challenge is a great way to get into the blogging habit and make new friends. For more details and its history, go HERE 

My theme this year is EDITING

I'll be posting practical advice for editing any story, novel, or other piece of writing. Editing is something most authors struggle with, and after years of doing my own as well as that of others, I have a pretty good eye for what needs work. I'll be doing short posts on editing topics and (hopefully) dispensing simple, valuable advice to help everyone out there self-edit.


Z is for Zen

I can't believe it's the last day of the A to Z Challenge! It went by SO fast! I met some new bloggers and learned lots of tidbits. It was really fun. I hope it was beneficial for everyone else as well. 

For the letter Z, be zen about your writing. Writing should be fun. Of course we have deadlines and there's always work to do when you're a writer, but if you stress yourself out about it too much, it becomes a chore. Definitely discipline yourself and set goals (otherwise I think we all know the book will NEVER get written) but be zen about it too.

Heaven knows it's hard enough for me to get my editing done as it is. The second I start to stress about it, I might as well plan for double the completion time. Don't do that to yourself.

You're a writer! It's who you are. Never apologize for or downplay it. And try not to stress about it. Take some advice from my buddy Daryl below. If he can be zen during TV's awesomest zombie apocalypse, we can all be zen about our writing. 


I hope everyone had fun this year, met some new friends, and were sufficiently enlightened. (One can only hope May will be as productive. ;D)

How was your A to Z Challenge, 2015?


7 comments :

  1. I don't stress. What happens, happens.
    Congratulations on completing the Challenge! I learned a lot from your theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Really loved your theme too! :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on making it to the end!

    I'm trying to stay calm and find Zen myself. I can only wish I was as cool as Daryl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? LOL. Thanks so much and congrats to you as well. Really loved your theme. Might have to copycat next year. :D

      Delete
  3. It has been a great month. I'm glad I discovered this blog, so much great information here.
    Congrats on making it to the very end. I'll be back for sure to continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks so much, Jeffrey! Glad to get to know you and your blog too. :D

      Delete
  4. Hello there.
    Congratulations on surviving the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip. My goal is to visit all the blogs that linked up, before next year's challenge starts up again.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete