Tuesday, August 2, 2016

What I Learned From a Year Away From my Writing Blog

Picture Source

So the past year has been sort of a crazy one for me. I've mentioned this briefly in other posts. I've blogged off and on a handful of times, but certainly not very regularly. And really, the thing I learned was simply what I like to blog about.

That may sound simple, but here's the thing:

Two years ago, I was an avid blogger. I had different features that I did on different days of the week. Some did better than others. But I rarely had trouble finding things to blog about. But a lot of what I blogged about wasn't directly related to my writing.

So I decided that as part of focusing on my writing, I would change my blog a bit. I would focus more on writing and my author stuff in general.

Yeah, that didn't go over too well. Not only did I not do much blogging over the next year or more, but I hardly did any of my own fiction writing at all. I'm not saying I stopped writing because I changed my blog or anything. It was just par and parcel to how side-tracked I got from my writing.

But the things I HAVE focused on in the past year have been stuff that I genuinely enjoy. I've said that I do a lot in the TWD community. Most of what I do is interpreting symbolism and geeking out about characters and story lines. That's something I genuinely love doing for stories that I enjoy.

Now that I'm actively working on my writing again, I knew I needed to get back to my writer's blog, but I immediately started feeling blocked as to what to write. But of course I never felt that way before.

So what really gave me the epiphany was going to see the new Star Trek film over the weekend. Having spent the last year teaching myself to analyze symbolism, foreshadowing, and other writer-esque things when watching stories on any-sized screen, several really amazing things jumped out at me. (And the film at large was fantastic anyway.) I realized I wanted to do a review for it. But I don't really do things like that on my blog anymore.

So then I found an article about writing a successful author blog. It was a great article that talked about how outdated most author blogging advice is. (I think that's true of most things concerning writing in general these days.) And it simply said that your blog should be a reflection of who you are. Readers want to connect with us on a real level and know that we're real people.

Picture Source
So I realized that the reason I was having trouble with ideas for my blog is that I'm trying to force my blog to be something I think it should be, rather than letting it be the most natural thing it can be.

So, moving forward, I'm not going to limit myself so much on what I post. I don't think I have the time to go back to 5+ posts per week, but my blog, while it will definitely still be writing and story related, will just be about what I'm thinking about this week and how it relates to my writing.

That will be much more a reflection of who I am, what goes on in my convoluted thoughts, and where my writing comes from. I hope to connect with many more people and on a much deeper level than I have in the past year or two.

I'm someone who loves being online and talking to and meeting people. It's one of my favorite past times. So if you want to chat or know anything about me, feel free to ask! ;D

How do you come up with blog content?

6 comments :

  1. "So I realized that the reason I was having trouble with ideas for my blog is that I'm trying to force my blog to be something I think it should be, rather than letting it be the most natural thing it can be." I can certainly identify with this. The same thing has happened to my blogs. I feel myself straining to follow the advice of too many experts and holding back from writing what's in my heart and dominating my days. Thanks for sharing these struggles. Im sure other bloggers will also identify as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, Karen. Thanks for commenting. I'm sure there are plenty of writers who have this problem. This was just my epiphany about it. I hear ya about too many experts. So many "experts" out there that often contradict one another, and most of their advice is outdated anyway. Can make blogging difficult. Just gotta roll with it. ;D

      Delete
  2. "So I realized that the reason I was having trouble with ideas for my blog is that I'm trying to force my blog to be something I think it should be, rather than letting it be the most natural thing it can be." I can certainly identify with this. The same thing has happened to my blogs. I feel myself straining to follow the advice of too many experts and holding back from writing what's in my heart and dominating my days. Thanks for sharing these struggles. Im sure other bloggers will also identify as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet I know whose blog post you read!
    My blog has never been a conventional writing blog, but it's worked for me. I just blog about what I enjoy. One day a month, that is writing. (IWSG) Otherwise, it's all about the entertainment I enjoy. Which makes it easier to write. (Besides, pressure's on - everyone comes to see my movie reviews so they'll know whether to go see a film or not!)
    Sounds like you had a thunderbolt moment and know what to do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, I think. Thanks Alex! Your movie reviews ARE really good. I often rely on them. And yes, you would know the post I'm talking about. Pretty sure I found it through your blog. ;D

      Delete
  4. Hi LK - I don't have any books ... but my blog is just about what I feel like writing - mostly educative stuff with some history or general interest points ... I do join one or two blog hops but not often ... good luck with moving forward with the blog once again ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete