Friday, July 15, 2016

Feature and Follow Friday + Friday Funnies

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!



What is your favorite character archetype(s)?


I have to pick a favorite, huh? I have an entire Pinterest board called Character Archetypes full of pictures of great potential characters. How about I name one from each of the genres I write?


1) Crime Fiction: Yeah, both The Botanist and Street Games have involve a detective. I know lots of people who work in law enforcement and therefore have a soft spot for cops. In both cases they're good guy cops out to catch a serial killer. And even though that borders on cliche, I hope I do enough with the character that it isn't. Cody Oliver (The Botanist) has a massive scar on his face from scuffling with a pedophile, so not a pretty boy. And Gabe Nichols (Street Games) has a dark and tragic past involving regret over a lost sibling. Always put a twist on your archetypes!

2) Historical: the only one I can think of here is my main character in Citadels of Fire. She's a main in the Kremlin palace and is definitely the mousy type. Not the strongest of female characters. Of course there's Ivan, who is an evil dictator, but he is anything but typical, and then I'm not sure real historical figures count as tropes.





3) Dystopian: I do have a wise, mentor type in Interchron. He's a white-haired man--yes, even called Doc...

...no, not that Doc. He's calm and wise, not at all erratic. But I like this trope because you can create mystery based on what this character knows or figures out that others haven't. You also have a well of knowledge, which can be convenient when dealing with a dystopian world you have to communicate to your readers.

What's YOUR favorite character archetype?




Welcome to Friday Funnies! Because everyone needs a good laugh on Friday.





Source

Source

Source

Hope one of these gave you a smile. Have a wonderful weekend, Everyone! :D

P.S. I completely forgot that I was spotlighted on Author R.K. Grow's website yesterday. It's for the above-mentioned giveaway. She's spotlighting all the authors who are giving away books and she featured me yesterday. It totally slipped my mind until she tagged me on Facebook yesterday afternoon. So head over to this link for the feature, and be sure to enter the giveaway if you haven't yet. There are tons of great books being given away! Happy Friday!

6 comments :

  1. I don't think there are enough anger management sessions in the world for those birds.
    I guess I like the talented and driven loner type best since I keep using that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Agreed Alex. I like that archetype too. :D

      Delete
  2. This is a terrific post! LOVE that Pinterest! The comedy cracked me up too. We need it today, I think.

    Heather
    Bloodthirsty Muses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Heather. Glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by! ;D

      Delete
  3. Wow, Liesel, your characters sound fascinating. Good job! I like the sound of the hop, however, I'll have to see how much time I get. I'll let you know though! :-) Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete