Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Insecure Writers Support Group: Time

Source
Good morning and Happy Hump Day! 

It's IWSG day! Thanks to the wonderful Alex Cavanaugh for always bringing us together! Check out THIS PAGE for more info or if you want to participate! 

I wasn't sure what to write about this month, and it's interesting that the question for this month concerns finding time to write, because I thought I might do my post on that anyway. I think I've talked about it before, but it was all I had this month. :D

September 7 Question: How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

I think it's just about prioritizing and planning ahead. With the way my schedule is now, I can't get any work done until I put my 2-year-old nephew (who I tend full time) down for a nap. Then I get a couple of hours of quiet before he wakes up. It never feels like enough time to actually accomplish much. 

But then in the evening, I get more time, too. So I can plan on having a couple of hours in the afternoon and then a little bit bigger chunk in the evening. 

The only downside is that after chasing the bouncing baby nephew around all day (his name is Lyric but I affectionately call him Booger or just "the boogs") I'm often exhausted and not in a mood to write. 

But if I plan beforehand to get certain things done, the mindset can usually override the exhaustion. And if not, I can take a twenty minute nap to recharge before diving in. 

As cliche as it is, it's really just about the mindset. If you put your mind to it, you can do anything. And it's true. Determine that you WILL make time to write, and you will. Even if it's only ten or twenty minutes here and there. At least you'll be making progress. :D

How do you find time to write?

10 comments :

  1. We make time for what we really want to accomplish.
    Dig your nephew's nicknames!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Booger much better. And that sounds like a pretty good schedule!

    IWSG September

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the kiddos are super young, you do what you can! This too shall pass--the terrible twos:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! And thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. My best times are normally mid morning to mid afternoon, but that would not work with a toddler. I kept to 5 years for four weeks and I did not get any writing done, so I feel ya. Happy Writing
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete