Monday, August 3, 2015

5 Crucial Steps to an Online Marketing Plan (Part 1)

Happy Monday, Everyone!

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get my life together. I said almost a month ago that I'd be back to a regular blogging schedule, and then I pretty much...just...didn't. See, I've been an avid blogger for almost three years now, but I rarely have time to blog during the week. I generally do my posts in advance. Usually on the weekend. The problem is that for the past few months I've had to work weekends, so I just haven't had any time to get much blogging--or, unfortunately, much writing--done. But guess what! Last weekend was the last one I had to work. So that means...


Source
So, I'll be much more active now as we head into the tail end of summer. Good to be back. :D

Okay, onto today's topic. I've been experimenting with social networks (as I mentioned a month ago) and putting together marketing plans for my books. I've actually learned a lot and I'm gonna start applying them. In the meantime, I'll probably be posting about what I've learned a lot.

This week, I'm talking about formulating a marketing plan and putting it into practice. I'll be focusing on the online stuff: social networks, online interaction, etc. Today will be a short overview and then I'll go into each step in more detail for the rest of the week. 

So, 5 Crucial Steps for an Online Marketing Plan:


Source
1. Have a plan -- They may sound like a repeat of the title, but I promise it's not. I'll go into a lot more detail on this tomorrow, but suffice it to say, having a detailed plan is a nearly foolproof way to avoid not having anything to post. If you sit down at your computer every day and go, "uhhh, what should I post? Ummmmm...hmmmm." Yeah, nine days out of ten you're not going to come up with anything. Plan in advance so you already have stuff to post and just have to actually upload it.

2. Spend the time -- It doesn't have to be much. Consistency and playing the numbers is the best way to gain a following. Take a few minutes in a consistent manner and soon enough you'll be amazed at the reaction you get. I'll have a step by step on this on Wednesday.

3. Be flexible. While you should always have a detailed plan and stick to it as closely as possible, sometimes things come up and will interrupt your plan. And that's okay. Know what to look for that you WANT to interrupt your plan for, and what can go by the wayside. More on how to define these things on Thursday.


Source
4. Use different social networks. Most new authors start on one or two networks--say Facebook and Twitter--and then branch out. I was no different. I'm on quite a few of them now and I've learned a lot about how to reach different audiences and how to maximize my reach on different platforms. I'll put up a detailed post on how to use different platforms to your advantage and how they differ in audience on Thursday.

5. Set goals and adjust accordingly. The truth is, you're never going to know just how realistic your goals are until you get started. Set goals, and then keep on eye on things. You may not hit your first goals, and that's okay. It'll still give you a jumping off point and teach you a whole lot about the social network, what you can accomplish, and where to go next. I'll talk about goals and give you some examples on Friday.

So those are the major steps. Stay tuned the rest of the week for more detail. And have a wonderful, productive Monday! :D

How detailed is your latest marketing plan?

6 comments :

  1. Welcome back!
    Since I contribute to two other sites besides my own, I have to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, guess you'd have to. Obviously I need to as well or I don't get my posts up. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  2. I plan to put a lot more work into the marketing for my next book, and I have been doing research to that end. These points and posts will be helpful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Researching marketing. Hope these tips this week help you. :D

      Delete
  3. Great tips and I'm looking forward to Thursday!

    ReplyDelete