Monday, July 6, 2015

Lessons from the Fandom: 4 Reasons Every Writer Should Be on Tumblr + Step by Step Instructions

I'm really not much of a fangirl,
but thought this was cute. :D (Source)
Not long ago--the beginning of May, actually--I started a fan account for a TV show I love. (Bet some of you can guess which one. :D) I did it for a couple of reasons. 1) Because I like the show and thought it would be fun 2) I wanted to experiment with some marketing techniques and learn some social networks I wasn't already on, and I thought this would be a good way to do so without making too many mistakes concerning my own writing.

So, now I'll be don't a series called Lessons from the Fandom. Just little tips and tricks I've learned from this experience.

Today I'm going to talk about Tumblr. I've never been on Tumblr before, at least not to post my own stuff. I've searched it before for gifs and things, but even that's been fairly limited. It's just not my social media network of choice. 

Well, that's changing now. For the last couple of months, I've gotten to know Tumblr, and it's one of my new favorite platforms. I've come to conclusion that every writer should be on Tumblr!!!

Source
Why?

1) It can greatly increase your audience. - It's yet another social network to connect with people on and the audience is very active. It's easy to spread your influence there and network with others.

2) It doesn't take ANY extra work on your part. - I've literally just copied and pasted. If you're already creating blogposts, pictures (i.e. facebook or pinterest) or just about any other kind of post, you can simply upload it to Tumblr in exactly the same format. (Of course you can change it if you want.) But you don't have to necessarily do yet another post to be on Tumblr. Just use the work you've already done anyway. 

3) Hashtags translate to a VERY targeted audience. - Tumblr probably makes the best use of hashtags of any social network I've been on. I know this because when I started out with my fan account, I had like 5 followers, but dozens of people were finding and either liking or reblogging my stuff every single day. That's because people on Tumblr are awesome at searching with hashtags. And that means the people who find your stuff will be exactly the audience you're looking for. It's awesome! Plus that naturally grows your following because people who regularly find your stuff through searches inevitably end up following you. 

4) It's fun! Yet another network to have fun on. It's so great to see people like, comment, and reblog your stuff. I know it makes me unreasonably happy. :D

Source
So, what's next?

1) If you're not currently on Tumblr, start an account. 

2) For posts, go back to the early days of your blog or other social media accounts and start sharing stuff from a while ago. You already have a cache of potential posts at your fingertips to get you started. 

3) Post a few times a day at first to grow your audience quickly. By the time you've caught up to where you currently are on your blog, you'll already have a good framework. 

4) Every time you post, just share it on Tumblr, along with your other social networks.

5) Have tons of fun. Just 'cuz. :D

Give it a try. I'd love to hear how it goes for you! :D

Anyone else have any Tumblr tips to share?

8 comments :

  1. You have a great point and I've never thought about using Tumblr! It sounds really easy! Thanks for sharing such a def post, and I wish you a super one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doesn't sound too time consuming. I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about trying this one out for a while now. I love looking at the fan blogs there for Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. Thanks for sharing the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. Hope it goes well for you. :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Let me know how it goes! :D

      Delete