Monday, April 23, 2012

Hello Fantasy-Lovers!  I hope your day has been fantastical!

I'm reading the brand new book of a friend of mine.  Last week Joy Spraycar's newest release, Phantom Wolves, hit shelves.  I'm only a few chapters in but I'm loving it so far.  It's an easy read and the main character is a spunky spitfire--a fun one to both read and write.

As for me, I'm researching dragons in literature.  The LUW contest deadline is coming up in about a month and, while I have things that are already written I plan on entering, I kind of wanted to write something specifically for the contest.  I've always wanted to research the role of dragons in literature, both classically and more currently.  I'm interested in putting them in a story, but I don't want to write something unless I have something new to say.  With the Inheritance series gaining such popularity and classics like the Hobbit soon to hit the big screen, it's not like the dragon thing hasn't been done.  Still, I have a few ideas I'm throwing around.

This will probably be a short story.  (Depending on how much I can hash out, maybe even flash fiction.)  The thing you should know about me is that I tend to write epic stories.  I'm don't really do 'concise.'  But, I'm going to challenge myself and try.  I'll enter whatever I come up with in the contest and if I suck, well, at least I can say I gave it a shot.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a civilization that fears/reveres dragons and a young child that will have an encounter with them.  When I was in the 8th grade (yes, I do remember specifically because I wasn't a fan of my English teacher that year) I read a story that has always stuck with me.  I have no idea what the name of the story or the author was, but it was a short story about a society where humans were paired with dragons when they came of a certain age.  In the story, the dragons looked into a person's heart and the bond that resulted was somewhat soul-mate-ish.  There was a hierarchy of dragons, of course, and if the various colors or types of dragons chose you, it meant that you were the strongest, the bravest, etc.  The type of dragon that chose you also determined what your life would be like from then on--what place you would take in society.  A golden dragon was only born once every thousand years and was the most rare and beautiful find.  In the story, the main character is badly injured just before the dragon-choosing ceremony and doesn't think he has any chance of bonding with an awesome dragon.  Crippled and in pain, he makes his way to the place of ceremony and looks into the soulful eyes of a golden dragon who chooses him.  It was one of the most powerful, evocative, beautiful stories I'd ever heard, but as I said, I don't have any reference for it.  If anyone knows, I'd be grateful for a reference.

Anyway, if I can write a story half as good as that one about a dragon, I will have succeeded.  What are your favorite stories about dragons?  What attributes do they have that you admire?  What attributes would you like to see them have?

No comments :

Post a Comment