Monday, January 4, 2016

2016 Has Arrived!!!

Source
Phew! I am looking at my posting history for this blog in 2015, and I am NOT happy with what I see! I completely let it get away from me the final quarter of the year. Well, I'm trying to get back into it now. I think I need to be more organized and have more of a plan. No matter what I do, I always seem to take on more, which means I need to budget my time more efficiently to get it all done! 

And I will!

I said last year that I wanted to focus this blog more on writing, and I still intend to do that, but it's hard to come up with tons of stuff about writing constantly. 

So what I've decided to do is try to do at least two posts a week: 

  1. one on the craft of writing, and 
  2. one on current issues in the publishing industry. 


I'm sure there will be plenty of weeks that those will be the only two posts I get written. Of course if I have review, just-for-fun posts, or news about my own books, I'll publish those as well, but that will be mostly filler for when I have extra time. 

Goals for 2016:


1. Publish 6 books. I know that's a lot, but I'd like to put one out every other month. I don't know if it's very realistic for me, but I only get four or five out in the year, well, that's more than I managed in 2015. Shooting for the stars over here!

2. Sell 100,000 copies of my books. I've had that goal before but was unsure how to actually reach it (and so I haven't, if we're being honest. I haven't even come close). But I'm working through a training program that focuses on building your email list and it's geared specifically toward authors. I'm actually really excited about it (building my email list is one area I've had tons of trouble in) and the numbers it boasts are very promising. So I'll blog about my efforts and experiments and how it goes. But overall I'm very optimistic that my book sales will be up this year. 

3. Read more. Last year I made a goal to read more than 2014, and I think I did, but only by a smidge. I love me my books. I need to make them a high (not highest but still high) priority. So my goal is to read 100 books this year. Doesn't matter what kind--fiction, nonfiction,etc. I just want to get some more knowledge under my belt. 

4. More Author Events. I've been slacking this past couple of years and only doing one or two events annually. Part of the problem is the time and expense it takes to make these things happen, but again, if I can just plan and budget a little more strictly, I'm sure I had hit at least half a dozen a year. :D

5. I've focused on followers and page view goals in the past, but I've become less worried about that now. I prefer genuine interaction to electronic analytics. I've learned that from starting my Instagram accounts (yes plural) and meeting some truly extraordinary people that way. 

6. Have more fun. I genuinely just want to find more enjoyment both in my writing and my online networking. When life gets busy, these things can start to feel like chores, and none of us write when it's no fun, do we?

Well, that's pretty much it for me for goals. Pretty general, but don't worry. I have very detailed plans to make them all happen. :D

Source
Let's make 2016 the greatest year in writing and blogging yet! :D

2 comments :

  1. Liesel! Good to hear from you. Wondered what happened.
    I've never worried about page views. Comments and interaction matters more to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome goals. I also have six books that I want to publish this year, although I can see already that getting it done will be a challenge. But I use my monthly goals bloghop to keep myself going and accountable. All the best! :-D

    ReplyDelete