Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Source
Hello All! We've just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in our Potter Head Read-Along. It's being hosted by Sheila over at Book Journey, and it's not too late to join in if you're interested in reading with us. Details here. As most people are all kinds of familiar with our boy-wizard's world, this won't be your average book review. I'll just talk about points that struck my fancy while re-reading. 

It was super-fun to re-read The Chamber of Secrets, as this is one of my favorite installments of the series. I remember thinking that the film for book 2 deviated from the book more than the first one did. And while that's true, it was more true than I remembered it being. Especially with the dialogue. I swear every line in the film came straight with the book, which is really cool. 

And, after seeing the films so much, I totally picture most of the actors. Especially Kenneth Branaugh as Lockheart. He did such a great job! And I don't think anyone but David Bradley could possibly be Mr. Filch. :D


Source
Another reason it's really fun to explore both the book and film is that you get a double dose of hilarity. There are certain things--like watching the car throw Ron and Harry out after they've abused it, or watching Errol bash into windows and the like, or Colin Creevy's face when he almost gets hit by a bludger--that are funnier in the movie than in the book. But other things are definitely funnier in the book. For example, Filch's on-going reaction to his cat, Mrs. Norris, being petrified.
"When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was skulking red-eyed through the corridors, lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like "breathing loudly" and "looking happy." (pg. 146)
LOL.

Some things I enjoyed in the book that are absent from the film include Nearly Headless Nick's "death day party" which included a whole bunch of ghosts and rotting food. (I understand why they would have cut it from the film, as it isn't particularly important to the overall narrative, but it was still a fun scene.) I also would have gotten a kick out of seeing the de-gnoming of the garden. (Again, not super-important, but it would have been entertaining. :D)

Other than that, the story in the book pretty well follows the book. Almost to the letter. And I loved every word of it! Can't wait to dig into book 3. 

What was your favorite Harry Potter installment?

12 comments :

  1. Great post! Both of the scenes you mention that are in the book but not the movie were scenes I did not think as missing, buy you are right - what fin they both would have been! I can just picture the ghost that went through the banquet table with his mouth side open over the salmon trying to get a taste! And have to say, your Colin Creevy pic made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Yeah I love that pic! I think of it every time I need a chuckle. :D

      Delete
  2. Ya Colin Creevey did seem more of a menace in the books than in the movie imo . Anyway de-gnoming the garden is a fun game on Pottermore. I'm a Slytherin there. The movies certainly do take away some important scenes that you can only find in the books so idk. I like both mediums .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy both mediums as well. I've never gotten on Pottermore. Guess I should. Thanks Jackie! :D

      Delete
  3. I completely forgot about the degnoming scene! That was fun. I loved all the scenes from the Weasley's house. It's definitely a place I'd like to visit. I missed the movie meet up Tanya is hosting last weekend, so I'm hoping to watch the movie this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the scenes at the Burrow are some of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. I also see the actors faces now - I've seen the movies so many times, it is difficult not too. Part of me wishes I was still able to use my imagination to create the characters in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. It's one of those things where you kind of want to go back and read them again for the first time, though you can't really do that. Thanks Jenna! :D

      Delete
  5. It really would be nice if the movies could follow closer to the books, but this one was done pretty well, I think, too :) And the humor in these books is just fantastic. She's one talented author :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete