Thursday, September 11, 2014

Follow Friday: Before--*gasp*--Blogging

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Before blogging (dark times, people) how did you find out about new books, or did you?--suggested by A Great Read 


Before blogging, I did a few things to find new books, but they weren't particularly effective. If there was a particular genre, author, or series I was already into, I'd sometimes troll the internet, looking for more or similar things, but that definitely didn't open my horizons to new books.

I've been a reader of Entertainment Weekly for a long time, and they have a book section where they do book reviews. Unfortunately, most of those reviewed are the pretentious, literary fiction types, as opposed to the kinds of books most people like to read. Or just ones that, for one reason or another, have gotten media attention. So, while I read the reviews, and some of them sound interesting, it still doesn't really do much for me in terms of new books.

I sometimes would just go to Media Play (when that store was still around) and troll the isles, but more than once I picked something up, read the first part, was tremendously disappointed and wished I hadn't bought it, and then went back looking for something else.

Thank goodness I now have book bloggers, Goodreads.com, and a host of other things in my life that help me choose my beloved reads wisely. I'm so grateful for this community! Happy Friday, Everyone!

How did you find books before blogging?

20 comments :

  1. Before blogging I would always just browse my library for YA contemps that looked interesting. But thanks to blogging now I love so many new genres! And goodreads was a great discovery as well. New follower here and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I should read EW's book picks more often. I've seen some great suggestions from them.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could read them whenever I read their reviews, but I don't get around to very many, and there are a few I have read and been disappointed in. Have a great weekend, Alison! :D

      Delete
  3. OOh nice! I loved going to Borders myself and just spend hours walking up and down the aisles looking for something to read. Back when I basically had no TBR pile or new what a TBR pile was!


    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often did the same, but with B&N. I never lived near enough a Borders to do much shopping there. :D

      Delete
  4. I was terrible at finding out about new books and I'm still pretty bad at keeping up with new releases because I'm currently still nose-deep in a lot of classics xD I'm so grateful to other bloggers and Goodreads though, it makes life so much easier! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Much easier! You do the same, Juli! :D

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about those books in Entertainment Weekly.
    I guess I just browsed the bookstore. Science fiction and fantasy titles rarely make headlines anywhere, so I'd just scan the titles on the shelf and pick one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true. Sci-Fi and Fantasy would never make EW. (Grrh!) So bookshelves were our only hope before book blogging. :D

      Delete
  6. Libraries for me which shows the importance of a good book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, right? They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but we all do it. :D

      Delete
  7. I tended to use the library and the bookstore. I didn't really start getting a big TBR pile until I discovered LibraryThing and Goodreads, but before then, I would get recommendations from the librarians and just pick up interesting looking books at Borders or Barnes and Noble. New Networked Blogs follower.
    Kim @ Bookworm Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did much the same. Thanks for following Kimberly. Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  8. Goodreads is my cryptonite... seriously. Over 700 books on my TBR! Already followed you on Boglovin, and GFC. Added Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Lori. I've got over 700 too, and it seems like most of the ones I read aren't on my TBR, which means the list never shrinks! Thanks for all the follows. I'll reciprocate. :D Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Hi, I'm an existing follower. I never read Entertainment Weekly. I'm really glad we had Goodreads too-I don't know how I lived without it!

    My FF post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel that way about all social networking. What the heck did I do before it? :D Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  10. I recently just now started browsing through EW for book recs. tThey have some cool articles sometimes about book subjects that interest me, but aren't always the best with the books i really love.Hopefully, you have better luck!

    Old follower

    Guinevere & Libertad @ Twinja Book Review's #FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think there are definitely politics that have to do with the ones they review. I do see some every so often that look intriguing, though. :D Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend! :D

      Delete